Expert claims NSA has backdoors in Intel, AMD processors

Hello,

I have found some worrying article over here: Expert claims NSA has backdoors in Intel, AMD processors

Could this be true :scream:?

So curious!

We should lock this thread as it is unrelated to Development.

But to your point - highly speculative, no disclosures have ever confirmed it etc. If you’re targeted, you are screwed because computers are swiss cheese to highly advanced attackers, meaning CPU backdoors aren’t needed. See here:

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Dev/Technical_Introduction#Targeted_Surveillance

The following is just a small sample of the hundreds of advanced implants and tools currently in use. Needless to say, advanced adversaries can achieve almost any outcome they like:

• Exfiltrate or modify information / data including removable flash drives (SALVAGERABBIT).
  • Log keystrokes or browser history (GROK, FOGGYBOTTOM).
  • Surreptitiously turn on cameras or microphones (CAPTIVATEAUDIENCE, GUMFISH).
  • Exploit VPN and VOIP data (HAMMERCHANT, HAMMERSTEIN).
  • Block certain websites (QUANTUMSKY).
  • Corrupt downloads (QUANTUMCOPPER).
  • Present fake or malware-ridden servers (FOXACID, QUANTUMHAND).
  • Launch malware attacks (SECONDDATE).
  • Upload and download data from an infected machine (VALIDATOR).
  • Detect certain targets for attack (TURMOIL).
  • Collect images of computer screens (VAGRANT).
  • Collect from LAN implants (MINERALIZE).
  • Image the hard drive (LIFESAFER).
  • Jump air-gaps (GENIE).
  • Inject ethernet packets onto targets (RADON).
  • And much, much more.

In other words, if your threat model involves these agencies, you basically can’t do anything online or on electronic devices, because you’ll be owned. Full stop.

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Mental_Model#Threat_Modeling

Thanks for clarifying things!

In other words: if I am targeted, even Whonix can not help me anymore :(.

And all of what the NSA is doing can be used legally in court as well, I assume?

Does Whonix ™ / Tor Provide Protection from Advanced Adversaries?

A difficult legal question which for sure cannot be resolved here. I suggest to support related organisations that work in that legal field.

From the article:

Needless to say, Intel described the claims as “highly speculative”

Oh the irony :rofl: