Expected Build Warnings

Please review:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/BuildDocumentation_8#Expected_Build_Warnings

I would like to see the actual (short)explanation of the error.

[1 sentence explanation]. [Does not affect the build]

Should we add GRUB and dkpg error from this post?

Maybe “root : unable to resolve host host” too?

Sounds good to me.

One suggestion:
If we introduce virtualbox as a build dependency (as it is due to vboxmanage), we should take care that it is properly installed/configured. I.e. we should also pull the respective kernel-headers. Even if we just need vboxmanage for the VM build process, pulling virtualbox without ensuring that it’s setup correctly due to missing kernel-headers doesn’t sound too good to me (might be confusing to users). That said, pulling kernel-headers wouldn’t interfere with a possible Oracle virtualbox neither, needed anyways - whether Debian or Oracle (I’m sorry that I haven’t commented yet within the respective thread - I’m a bit busy the next week(s)).

[quote=“Occq, post:2, topic:129”]I would like to see the actual (short)explanation of the error.

[1 sentence explanation]. [Does not affect the build][/quote]
I though keeping it as simple as possible for builders and keeping the reasoning as a reference in the footnotes would be best. Some of these explanations need to be quite long so they don’t sound stupid. If it was 1 short sentence, it would still require “see footnote for more”. What do you think?

Should we add GRUB and dkpg error from this post?
Yes.

That would be a known bug,a terrible one because it slows down the build a lot and should be fixed. Please refresh my mind, did I succeed fixing this in Whonix 8?

[quote=“Cerberus, post:3, topic:129”]One suggestion:
If we introduce virtualbox as a build dependency (as it is due to vboxmanage), we should take care that it is properly installed/configured. I.e. we should also pull the respective kernel-headers. Even if we just need vboxmanage for the VM build process, pulling virtualbox without ensuring that it’s setup correctly due to missing kernel-headers doesn’t sound too good to me (might be confusing to users). That said, pulling kernel-headers wouldn’t interfere with a possible Oracle virtualbox neither, needed anyways - whether Debian or Oracle (I’m sorry that I haven’t commented yet within the respective thread - I’m a bit busy the next week(s)).[/quote]
VirtualBox is a build dependency for non-bare-metal builds already. And must remain one for future --vbox build targets.

Please look at this git commit:
https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/commit/86798e0a0cda871607681e474c02281f4eadb159

It should more or less cover your suggestion. With the only limitation, that it fails open. As the info message explains, I guess this is the best approach here. Please check.

[quote author=Patrick link=topic=120.msg898#msg898 date=1394161225] [quote author=Occq link=topic=120.msg885#msg885 date=1394132461] I would like to see the actual (short)explanation of the error.

[1 sentence explanation]. [Does not affect the build] [/quote]
I though keeping it as simple as possible for builders and keeping the reasoning as a reference in the footnotes would be best. Some of these explanations need to be quite long so they don’t sound stupid. If it was 1 short sentence, it would still require “see footnote for more”. What do you think?
[/quote]
Footnote is great. The point is to give the user something more than “Don’t worry about it” and 1 sentence+footnote is a good way.

[quote]

That would be a known bug,a terrible one because it slows down the build a lot and should be fixed. Please refresh my mind, did I succeed fixing this in Whonix 8?
[/quote]

I checked the 7.7.9.8 bare metal look and the message does not appear so it seems you did fix it.

[quote=“Occq, post:6, topic:129”][quote]

I checked the 7.7.9.8 bare metal look and the message does not appear so it seems you did fix it.[/quote]

It seems I was wrong and that this was not fixed.

Building 8.1 workstation

“sudo unable to resolve host debian”

[quote=“Occq, post:7, topic:129”][quote author=Occq link=topic=120.msg926#msg926 date=1394271024]

It seems I was wrong and that this was not fixed.

Building 8.1 workstation

“sudo unable to resolve host debian”[/quote]

Mostly fixed in 8.6.4.2 (which will eventually become Whonix 9 after a few more changes), except for https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/blob/master/build-steps.d/2800_create-report - but I am not sure that build step is useful for bare metal users anyway.