Error while trying to follow the step: "Importing Whonix ™ VM Templates"

I’m attempting to install Whonix in KVM, I’m using Arch Linux, I followed Installation guide from the Whonix website, but when I get to the “Importing Whonix ™ VM Templates” part i run the command:

sudo virsh -c qemu:///system define Whonix-Gateway*.xml

It give me this error:

error: Failed to define domain from Whonix-Gateway-XFCE-16.0.3.7.xml
error: invalid argument: could not get preferred machine for /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 type=kvm

So I’m stuck on this ( I did search for a solution both here on the forums and the web).

And I also want to add, in Arch Linux you have to Install a package called dnsmasq and enable the libvirtd service (sudo systemctl enable libvirtd) in order for some of the other commands before this one to run without error

So doing this fixes your initial problem? Can you update the Arch related instructions on the wiki so those who use it don;t experience this?

2 Likes

Updated the install instructions. Waiting for feedback to document any workarounds.

1 Like

No.

Nowadays this is documented here:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/KVM#VT-x_/_SVM_Errors

1 Like

Holy cow, I’m so stupid! I forgot to actually turn on “VT-x”. I went into my BIOS and enabled SVM mode and it fixed the problem. I don’t know if it’s also called SVM mode on other motherboards, but for other people who might be having trouble finding this option, you can search something like “How to enable cpu virtualization on your_motherboard_model_here” on your favorite search engine. Guys, don’t be like me, always remember to enable cpu virtualization / VT-x / SVM or whatever it’s called before installing Whonix, because Whonix can’t run without it.

1 Like

Also how do I make this post “SOLVED”? I can’t seem to be able to edit my initial post or anything is there a specific way to do this in Discourse? I do remember being able to choose a specific reply as the solution as well, from some other forum that uses Discourse, I can’t find anything like that here.

Also apologies, for posting this as a reply to the previous reply instead of just putting it in the bottom of that one. I don’t really know what the right place to put this in is.

1 Like

It’s the right place.

No problem. Posting to an existing forum thread instead of a new one if it’s still the very same topic is even suggested.

(Kicksecure ™ Forums Usage Instructions, Best Practices and FAQ chapter Bumping Old Threads in Kicksecure wiki)