Error when booting

After nonroot upgrade I get error: can’t find command 'initramfs-tools.
Loading Linux 5.10.0-11-amd64 …
Loading initial ramdisk …
Press any key to continue …

Workstation boots normally except the error message .
-A

Avoiding this issue:
Be careful with package removal, apt autoremove. See:

Fixing this issue:
Difficult. No documentation that is easy to follow that I know and could recommend. But same as for any Linux distribution.

Probably easier:

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

Thanks for your reply , I’ll try the reset .

However I don’t remember cleaning up with apt autoremove . Just scrolled through my terminal history and no apt autoremove , only purge pass when switching to KeePassXC .

Any other possible causes except apt autoremove ?
-A

The output of any APT action has to be reviewed before proceeding. If required packages are removed such as initramfs-tools, this can break the boot.

What exactly happen… See file:
/var/log/apt/history.log

How to access that file?
Difficult. No documentation that is easy to follow that I know and could recommend. But same as for any Linux distribution.

Hi , thanks again .

I catted the history log . Only possible command (that should not tamper with the system or depencies , purge only removes configs for the application when removing the application?) :

Commandline: /usr/bin/apt-get remove --purge pass -y

I could’t get pass working correctly in Whonix , can you confirm that pass does not work in current release of Whonix ?

Discouraged. Because then you cannot review before proceeding.

or simply just:

purge

Since not installed by default, probably no issue.

1 issue = 1 forum thread please.

Also, most likely no. Should be done as per https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Free_Support_Principle.

Ok , thanks for the support . The meta packages seemed to be intact … Backed up data and clean installed Whonix KVMs , no biggie.

Great to hear!