Dose any one have experince with Kali linux in nested virtualization enviromentes?

Accordion to the general terminology (On whonix org) I’m running nested virtualization with Ubuntu as L0, Kali Linux as L1 and windows as L2.

If the VM:s network is set up as “NA”. It should connect to host by default (In this case host is “Kali L1”).

In Window L2 it say that "there is not “available network”

The VM seams to be connected however. Indicated by the 3 icon from the left after the disk and speaker icon in the lower bar.

Jet no network is available in windows.

I don’t think windows is the problem here. Becous I have used an identical win installation as L2 before with no problem. In this case I used win as L1.

Unfortunately I have not tried any other operating system as L2 with Kali as L1 (due to other issue). Neither have tried Windows in an other operating system to role out the unlikely possibility that network on win as L2 always works if L1 is also windows.

Anyway based on what I know I presume its Kali Linux that mess this up. Any one know how to fix this?

Not a Whonix issue.
Self Support First Policy for Whonix applies.

I agree. I thought more general questions where acceptable in this section. Now however I have installed Whonix in a vm on “Kali L1”

And Whonix as L2 docent work ether

So I presume that its now a Whonix question with a general interest. I have also tried Ubuntu as L1. And encounter the same problem. So I’m fairly sure Kali is the cause of this error.

I have no idea on how to fix this. But if its a general problem and not exclusive to Kali in a nested environment. I’m sure many others has encounter the same isue as Kali Linux is one of the most popular Linux distributions.

Its much room for error when setting up the network in Virtualbox. As it should connect to host by default when it is set up as NA.

Also the actual virtual machine is connected indicated by the network icon. That is the forth icon from the left in the lower bar of the virtual machine. And expansion pac was downloaded with no issues.

Again im running a Linux distribution on L0 then Kali as L1 and finally whonix as L2.

It’s not a big deal but these questions are usually redirected due to Free Support for Whonix

Well, that’s not how it works. :slight_smile: You don’t get rid of Self Support First Policy for Whonix by mixing Whonix into an existing issue which already existed without Whonix previously being involved.

If there are issues where Whonix is involved but optional, i.e. issue can be reproduced without Whonix, then the issue is mostly Self Support First Policy for Whonix because that’s often the only realistic way to resolve complex issues such as this one.

Yeah :slightly_smiling_face:, but this could also be a case where Kali where LO. And whonix where running in a VM on L0 as L1. That is the normal position for Whonix.

Also what I referrer to in my first post as L2 is in a way L1 and L1 could be L0 because L1 is host for L2. In fact that’s the logical assumption for me at least (Thats why I tough my reformulation of the original question would be ok).

Hence unless nested environment case some kind of issue on its own the problem should be the same in the two cases . if the two cases relay are completely analogous. it has to have to do with the nested environment.

After installing Kali on the original host as L0. I guess on could exude the ider that Kali always do this. Even better however would be if some one that used Kali on L0 has encountered the same issue as I did in. In my setup that I describer in first post.

And if true that the problem do not not remain when Kali is L0 perhaps it can then be concluded that the nested environment do this. And in that cases it would be interesting to know why. Because its very peculiar based on what I know.

Also to be consistent I guess it could be Kali specifically in a nested environment not Kali or nested environment. In that cases its eaven more strange.

Any way in order to keep the integrate of the forum this might be better of in a thread it own.

I just like to add that i now found out that this works with different Linux distributions (before I had other issues with installation). Hence this problem is not hapen by default in nested environment with or with out Whonix gateway.

At this point If some on have had Kali on L0. I realy like to know. Because its in that case specific to whonix specifically in nested environment. Not whonix in general or nested environment in general.