[Done] support link / community link / new General forum category / redirections

On the main page (https://www.whonix.org) I replaced the “support” link (Free Support for Whonix ™) with “community” which links to Whonix Forum.

To substitute the support wiki page (Free Support for Whonix ™) I created a new General forum category above the Whonix forum category.

Good or bad idea?

I am also thinking if we still require redirections to other support places. At some point Whonix community might be big enough to also answer general Linux support questions. But what if a question can not be answered, advice to ask on stackexchange?

IMO, redirects work against the goal of enlarging the Whonix community.

I don’t see the point of new boards.

"Whonix Bug Reports / Feature Requests"
OK, if you want to have the discussion at GitHub instead of the forum.

Whonix Tor Questions
This seems better suited for the forum.

General Tor and Anonymity Talk = General Tor Questions & Computer Security
It is the same.

Professional Support
Make a “Professional Support” sticky in Whonix Support

Chat
WebChat & IRC buttons are already on the front page.

Linux/Debian related questions
We can redirect those within a specific thread if needed.

Pleas remove citation tags [] from the board descriptors.

Occq, so in summary you do agree with killing the support the home page and linking to forum with a link called community?

Whonix Tor Questions This seems better suited for the forum.

General Tor and Anonymity Talk = General Tor Questions & Computer Security
It is the same.

Professional Support
Make a “Professional Support” sticky in Whonix Support

Chat
WebChat & IRC buttons are already on the front page.

True.

IMO, redirects work against the goal of enlarging the Whonix community.
True.
Pleas remove citation tags [] from the board descriptors.
Won't be necessary, when the whole category is removed? :)
Linux/Debian related questions We can redirect those within a specific thread if needed.
Let's exercise this with this post by krejziman: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,234.msg1544.html#msg1544

I believe I gave valuable information, but the answer is incomplete. Full instructions on how to fix Ubuntu package manager should be linked. This is not something I can answer out of the top of my head, I can figure out where it’s explained or how to fix it myself in some minutes, but a specialized community will be able to answer this with a lot less effort. So having a template (for manual copy and paste) such as “if this answer is too incomplete and no one else can complete it, try asking on stackexchange adding the whonix tag” would be useful.

"Whonix Bug Reports / Feature Requests" OK, if you want to have the discussion at GitHub instead of the forum.

Yeah, bug tracker is really non-ideal. Communities are disconnected. Github has a hyperactive developer community. For example in the Bitcoin repository, loads of issues being discussed, loads of pull requests. For now, we get better feedback when discussing stuff in the forum. But in the forum discussions get lost (fall down) since there is no status (as in [open] [solved] [free to take it] [not a bug] etc.).

I would keep both Community and Support (it has good content that quickly explains how Whonix support works. Going on the forum takes a bit more figuring out and more categories make the forum cluttered) tabs however I would rename Community to Forum.

Linux/Debian related questions We can redirect those within a specific thread if needed.
Let's exercise this with this post by krejziman: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,234.msg1544.html#msg1544
I believe I gave valuable information, but the answer is incomplete. Full instructions on how to fix Ubuntu package manager should be linked. This is not something I can answer out of the top of my head, I can figure out where it's explained or how to fix it myself in some minutes, but a specialized community will be able to answer this with a lot less effort. So having a template (for manual copy and paste) such as "if this answer is too incomplete and no one else can complete it, try asking on stackexchange adding the whonix tag" would be useful.

I agreed about the template.

[quote]"Whonix Bug Reports / Feature Requests" OK, if you want to have the discussion at GitHub instead of the forum.[/quote]

Yeah, bug tracker is really non-ideal. Communities are disconnected. Github has a hyperactive developer community. For example in the Bitcoin repository, loads of issues being discussed, loads of pull requests. For now, we get better feedback when discussing stuff in the forum. But in the forum discussions get lost (fall down) since there is no status (as in [open] [solved] [free to take it] [not a bug] etc.).

GitHub is more devs, forum more regular people IMO. While non-ideal, the solution to push good threads from forum to github seems OK for now.

Edit by Patrick:
Fixed quote tags.

Archived link to the experimental changes before they get reverted:
http://www.webcitation.org/6OkuS01vt

Looks better now IMO. Good work.