[Done] Icons Changes on Whonix desktops

1. Too many icons on both of Whonix desktops.

//Workstation icon situation review//
Workstation icons - http://a.pomf.se/iqbmix.jpg

To remove:
Tor Browser Recommended way to start etc
Either we have this or the Tor Browser icon. There is no need for both. My vote is for plain Tor Browser.

Developer Mailing List
Developer Mailing List is a low traffic area. There is already a Forum icon which serves essentially the same purpose since announcements are essentially the same. Remove.

Contribute to Whonix
Best way to get people involved is through the forum feeling of community. People will always have questions about how exactly to help at X and forum is the best place to get those answers. If we really want to keep contribute we can change Donate link to Ways to Contribute because “Donate” is shown there too. I do however think this is not needed and only Donate link will do just fine.

//Gateway icon situation review//
Gateway icons - http://a.pomf.se/dtnoqt.jpg

To remove:
Open /etc/whonix_firewall50user
How often is this really used? If you are versed enough to use user specific firewall rules, you don’t need an icon IMO.

2. Names of the icons are too long/awkward
Rule of a thumb - Any sentence that gets blurred is too long. If we want additional descriptions, they should be displayed when when the mouse cursor is over the icon (if that and name icon can be made as different content).

//Workstation icon name situation review//

Old nameNew Name
Start Tor Browser (Whonix) — Tor Browser
User Help Forum — Whonix Forum
Whonix Documentation — Documentation
Check Tor Connection… — System check? (Full description can be in the cloud that appears)

//Gateway icon situation review//

Old nameNew Name
Open /etc/whonix_firewall30 → (Global) Firewall settings
Open /etc/whonix_firewall50user → User firewall settings
Open /etc/tor/torrc in kwrite. → Tor Configuration (torrc)
Open /etc/tor/torrc.example → Tor Configuration examples
Shutdown Tor and start… → Restart Tor
Reload Whonix Firewall → Reload Firewall
Stop Tor using Sudo → Shutdown Tor
Reload Tor using “sudo”… → Reload Tor
whonixsetup-connection → Whonix connection setup?

Parts of this could be considered a bug. Long descriptions on the desktop as in sentences on the desktop are clearly unwanted. Problem is, in start menu those look nice. Using short name by default, long description when you hover over it. On the desktop this is reversed.

Example whonix_shared/usr/share/applications/whonix/whonix-whonixcheck.desktop:

Name=Check Tor Connection, Tor Browser Version, Operating System Updates, Whonix Version, Whonix News GenericName=Whonix Check

Start menu uses nice and short GenericName and Name if you hover over it. On the desktop this is reversed.

Would you like to work on this (by asking on kde mailing list)?

Hm, is this orrect?

On desktop:
Name = hover

In menu:
GenericName = hover

I’d phrase it like this.

On desktop:
default=Check Tor Connection, Tor Browser Version, Operating System Updates, Whonix Version, Whonix News
hover over with mouse=Whonix Check

In menu:
default =Whonix Check
hover over with mouse=Check Tor Connection, Tor Browser Version, Operating System Updates, Whonix Version, Whonix News

Perhaps this could be solved through Subtext.desktop?

Old nameNew Name
Check Tor Connection… — System check

sudo nano /home/user/Desktop/Subtext.desktop

Name=System check
GenericName= Check Tor Connection
Comment= Check Tor Connection

http://a.pomf.se/lxjwnc.jpg

Good finding! You are right about this.

[As per definition on Localized values for keys in Whonix 8 we’re misusing the “GenericName” field. It’s not a “long description” or “tooltip”. The comment field is for that.]

For example, the following one looks well in start menu as well as on desktop.

[code]## This file is part of Whonix.

Copyright (C) 2012 - 2014 Patrick Schleizer adrelanos@riseup.net

See the file COPYING for copying conditions.

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=whonixcheck
Name=Whonix Check
GenericName=System Check
Comment=Check Tor Connection, Tor Browser Version, Operating System Updates, Whonix Version, Whonix News
Categories=System
Icon=/usr/share/whonix/icons/whonix.png
[/code]

Would you like to send a git pull request to fix Whonix’s .desktop files?

[By the way, I haven’t overlooked your other suggestions in this thread. I just prefer to fix the much bigger issue, the one we’re currently solving first. After that first step we can we can do the second smaller step sorting them out.]

Thank you for the git pull requests and fixes.

I made two changes:

• whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix/whonix-torbrowser.desktop: the string “(Whonix)” should be retained to avoid naming conflicts with torbrowser-launcher and trademark conflicts with The Tor Project
  • whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix/whonix-torbrowser_update.desktop: same here. But now the name is too long and it still looks bad on the desktop.

[quote=“Occq, post:1, topic:186”]To remove:
Tor Browser Recommended way to start etc
Either we have this or the Tor Browser icon. There is no need for both. My vote is for plain Tor Browser.[/quote]
Being discussed here:

Has the Tor project issued a negative opinion on people using “Tor Browser” name (not Tor Browser Bundle, just TB)?

IMO, comparing with “Tor Browser Launcher” name, “Tor Browser” and “Tor Browser (Whonix)” are equally “conflicting”. I don’t see the conflict though?

On GitHub I see Name=Tor Browser Updater. (which I think is totally okay as per above)
https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/tree/master/whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix

[quote=“Occq, post:9, topic:186”][quote author=Patrick link=topic=184.msg1331#msg1331 date=1395756615]

• whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix/whonix-torbrowser.desktop: the string “(Whonix)” should be retained to avoid naming conflicts with torbrowser-launcher and trademark conflicts with The Tor Project
    [/quote]

Has the Tor project issued a negative opinion on people using “Tor Browser” name (not Tor Browser Bundle, just TB)?[/quote]
Not yet, and I hope it stays this way. However, caution is not unreasonable due to historic events. These didn’t happen in public and I am now allowed to share the mails. So you have to take this one on faith / trusting me telling the truth.

Perhaps not entirely, see The Tor Project trademark FAQ:

Whonix’s previous project name (TorBOX) has not been entirely voluntarily renamed to aos (later renamed to Whonix). TorBOX reflects so much better what this project is about. Better affirmation. The Tor Project preferred if TorBOX was renamed. They asked a lawyer about it, what I found rather scary. Fortunately, I’ve never received any legal letters and I hope we can settle this before this happens.

Whonix not being affiliated with The Tor Project must be so clear, that it will be impossible to get this wrong. Murphy’s law applies. They will get annoyed if anyone writes their support due to poor naming in Whonix… I want to make sure, that will be impossible to get wrong.

Two people doing equal things, it’s still not the same. Maintainer of Whonix doesn’t work for EFF, maintainer of torbrowser-launcher does. Maintainer of Whonix does not have real life ties to The Tor Project, maintainer of torbrowser-launcher might have. Whonix is popular, torbrowser-launcher in comparison not so much. torbrowser-launcher is a fine project by the way, I contributed a very few bits. Maybe some day torbrowser-launcher will be installed in Whonix by default.

[quote=“Occq, post:10, topic:186”][quote author=Patrick link=topic=184.msg1331#msg1331 date=1395756615]

• whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix/whonix-torbrowser_update.desktop: same here. But now the name is too long and it still looks bad on the desktop.
    [/quote]

On GitHub I see Name=Tor Browser Updater. (which I think is totally okay as per above)
https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix/tree/master/whonix_workstation/usr/share/applications/whonix[/quote]
Not any longer. I forgot to push my changes. Now done.

I guess now everything from your original post should be covered. Please note out if something has been overlooked.

[quote=“Occq, post:1, topic:186”]Developer Mailing List
Developer Mailing List is a low traffic area. There is already a Forum icon which serves essentially the same purpose since announcements are essentially the same. Remove.[/quote]
That one indeed is not efficient. Can you comment it out in whonix_workstation/usr/share/whonix/postinst.d/70_desktopicons please?

Contribute to Whonix Best way to get people involved is through the forum feeling of community. People will always have questions about how exactly to help at X and forum is the best place to get those answers. If we really want to keep contribute we can change Donate link to https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Contribute because "Donate" is shown there too. I do however think this is not needed and only Donate link will do just fine.
Ok.
To remove: Open /etc/whonix_firewall.d/50user How often is this really used?
It's existence educates about the fact, that in .d, the default config file should be left alone and own ones should be created instead.
If you are versed enough to use user specific firewall rules, you don't need an icon IMO.
This is a step into direction of enabling flash proxy [has nothing to do with adobe, rather with circumvention] support as well as other features. First step to make it more extensible.

[quote=“Patrick, post:11, topic:186”][quote author=Occq link=topic=184.msg1338#msg1338 date=1395769939]

Has the Tor project issued a negative opinion on people using “Tor Browser” name (not Tor Browser Bundle, just TB)?[/quote]
Not yet, and I hope it stays this way. However, caution is not unreasonable due to historic events. These didn’t happen in public and I am now allowed to share the mails. So you have to take this one on faith / trusting me telling the truth.

Perhaps not entirely, see The Tor Project trademark FAQ:

Whonix’s previous project name (TorBOX) has not been entirely voluntarily renamed to aos (later renamed to Whonix). TorBOX reflects so much better what this project is about. Better affirmation. The Tor Project preferred if TorBOX was renamed. They asked a lawyer about it, what I found rather scary. Fortunately, I’ve never received any legal letters and I hope we can settle this before this happens.[/quote]

Name of a product (TorBOX) versus name of a desktop shortcut. Very different I would say. Perhaps asking them on their mailing list?

Tails uses “Start Tor Browser” in a dialogue.

In Whonix, in the browser, Help/About it says “Tor Browser is designed by Tor Project”. Title bar also says “Tor Browser” (as would the desktop icon).

Two people doing equal things, it’s still not the same. Maintainer of Whonix doesn’t work for EFF, maintainer of torbrowser-launcher does. Maintainer of Whonix does not have real life ties to The Tor Project, maintainer of torbrowser-launcher might have. Whonix is popular, torbrowser-launcher in comparison not so much. torbrowser-launcher is a fine project by the way, I contributed a very few bits. Maybe some day torbrowser-launcher will be installed in Whonix by default.
[/quote]

But it is not the same name. “Updater” versus “Launcher”. If a user doesn’t understand that difference, all the “(Whonix)” 's in the world won’t help.

[quote=“Patrick, post:13, topic:186”]I guess now everything from your original post should be covered. Please note out if something has been overlooked.

That one indeed is not efficient. Can you comment it out in whonix_workstation/usr/share/whonix/postinst.d/70_desktopicons please?

[quote]Contribute to Whonix
Best way to get people involved is through the forum feeling of community. People will always have questions about how exactly to help at X and forum is the best place to get those answers. If we really want to keep contribute we can change Donate link to Contribute to Whonix because “Donate” is shown there too. I do however think this is not needed and only Donate link will do just fine.[/quote]
Ok.[/quote]

New idea here.

We should keep “Contribute to Whonix” and remove “Donate to Whonix”.

Donate implies just money, contribute includes money and more.

Contribute to Whonix shows all options, including money, so we don’t really lose “Donate”.

Whonix documentation

Either we make an offline version (impractical because of the constant Wiki edits? We would need to create something just for this) or we remove the icon and bookmark “Whonix Documentation” in the Browser.

They’re not speaking with one voice. You don’t get definitive statements. For example, with respect to another issue, namely if it is okay to ship a torrent client, they made contradictory statements. (See https://www.whonix.org/wiki/File_Sharing.)

While the filesharing one is just a courtesy one, re-using their trademark would only be safe when having a signed contract. Since they don’t even make definitive statements, there is no way to proceed.

They have a special relationship for TPO for more years and also a Tor trademark license (source: bottom of Tor trademark faq).

You could say this is a bug. Also a remaining risk. The positive legal point is, Whonix doesn’t ship Tor Browser binaries by default Whonix. Only ships a launcher and updater called Tor Browser [Updater] (Whonix). The latter downloads Tor Browser. I guess it “Tor Browser Updater (Whonix)” is equally safe as hypothetical “Microsoft Office Updater (Third Party)”.

Well, I don’t know what to say. I could open a bug against torbrowser-launcher and say “rename it to a name not containing Tor”. What torbrowser-launcher is doing is up to them. Since Jacob Appelbaum (Tor core people [Tor Project | People]) is the Debian package and a contributor, I don’t foresee issues with The Tor Project. Whonix does not have this luxury.

[quote=“Occq, post:15, topic:186”]New idea here.

We should keep “Contribute to Whonix” and remove “Donate to Whonix”.

Donate implies just money, contribute includes money and more.

Ways to Contribute shows all options, including money, so we don’t really lose “Donate”.[/quote]
Ok.

[quote=“Occq, post:15, topic:186”]Whonix documentation

Either we make an offline version (impractical because of the constant Wiki edits? We would need to create something just for this) or we remove the icon and bookmark “Whonix Documentation” in the Browser.[/quote]
What do you mean by “We would need to create something just for this”? Why remove the documentation icon at all?

I’m bad at politics so (Whonix) it is.

[quote=“Patrick, post:17, topic:186”][quote author=Occq link=topic=184.msg1347#msg1347 date=1395778810]
Whonix documentation

Either we make an offline version (impractical because of the constant Wiki edits? We would need to create something just for this) or we remove the icon and bookmark “Whonix Documentation” in the Browser.
[/quote]
What do you mean by “We would need to create something just for this”? Why remove the documentation icon at all?[/quote]

Our documentation is on Wiki, edited constantly, not in a fixed state.

I was thinking about making a local version of the documentation, similar to the way Tails deals with this, although it is not very high (low really) on my priority list (one icon on or off).

Offline documentation would be a nice to have. Low priority for me as well. Happy to see a contributor. If anyone is up to work on this…

Can you push a version that reflects these (along with no offline news) changes on Whonix/Whonix? I’ll build and check.