Documentation is a confession of lack of usability.

Probably too complicated for large majorities.

Very much so.

Also.

Sure.

But the reason why I answer this in a separate thread:

In some book on programming I was reading recommendations for using code comments, was something like:

• if you fail to express what you want to say in code, add a comment for clarification
  • don’t comment things which are obvious from the code, that’s just noise

Translated to usability:

I would go as far as saying if writing documentation is required, it is admittance that the usability is lacking.

Documentation is a confession of lack of usability.

This will sound bold to many technical people but if we look at usability research we can see that most users already fail at far lower barriers. Called Stop-Points, see this PDF:

Eliminating Stop-Points in the Installation and Use of Anonymity Systems: a Usability Evaluation of the Tor Browser Bundle

related:

On usability, I recommend watching the following video. Worth the hour.

Aral Balkan: Superheroes & Villains in Design

2 Likes

Not many studies on usability research like this. I think everyone can relate to this study. Especially when using Linux. I’m mean how often do we have to stop to troubleshoot a problem. Like the paper states, this holds true for more experienced users as well.

This study is interesting because Tor Project has really been pushing forward with UX, UI changes for the last year or so.

So true! Most users don’t care how Whonix works. They just want expect it to work with little to no intervention. Not everybody finds hacking fun so I can understand that. Well I kinda understand. :slight_smile:

1 Like