Desktop renders slowly despite high resource spec

Hi all,
I’m using whonix via kvm. I encountered issues with the desktop rendering slowly (jumps when scrolling and trying to play video in fullscreen results in freezes) I tried giving the VM more CPU’s and RAM (6 VCPU cores and 6GB of RAM) but the issue is still there and CPU usage is nowhere near maxed out (only ~20%) does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks,

btw I run stuff where anonymity is a lower priority (or not possible as I need to sign in) though my regular desktop and vpn using privacy friendly browsers, what other measures can I take to minimize data collection when anonymity is not an option?

Which OS you use KVM on?

You must remove the cpu placement = static and cpuset = 1 settings in the vcpu line for all the extra horsepower to be effective.

2 Likes

Thanks. Anything else I can do to improve rendering performance? I’ve got a decently high-spec machine so it’s easy enough to throw a few cores and a chunk of ram at it but if there’s a better way to do things I’d love to know.

Adding vCPUs

(Whonix is based on Kicksecure.)

You can enable 3D acceleration (which we disable for hardening) and remove the blkiotune tag in the settings.

1 Like

What is the rationale for blkio and how does that change performance?