Debian stable issues

There are still a bunch of issues related to debian stable, even though versions from wheezy-backports are installed.

Those make our current Whonix KVM instructions and xml files unusable for debian stable.

Can you get please debian stable up in a (nested) VM, and then try to reproduce, and then try to fix?

Interestingly if I replace

<domain type='kvm'>

with

<domain type='qemu'>

I am having none of the 3 issues. But qemu is really slow.

Am I the only one having this issues with Debian stable and wheezy-backports?

What was gh0st’s latest status report?

I know running VirtualBox and KVM VMs at the same time is unfortunately not possible. I though perhaps having VirtualBox installed at the same time as KVM might also cause this issue. Therefore I test wise removed the virtualbox package and rebooted (to get rid of the kernel modules). However, this didn’t help.

What was gh0st's latest status report?

When using backports he says his problems went away. The only annoyance was the resolution issue and that was fixed by him changing the graphics card model in the configuration. The problems you are having only come with the older version of KVM in stable. Are you sure you removed this older version before installing backports?

There are two options I’m thinking of here:

1. Make a custom xml specifically for stable Debian users removing all problematic parts - which includes the RNG unfortunately.

2. Encourage manual upgrades through backports, with a few instructions on how to straighten things out like the resolution and keep them around until Jessie hits stable. I hope that happens soon.

I had some issues with backports, because I had still an apt preference pinning Debian stable.

Are you sure you removed this older version before installing backports?

Quite certain. Because apt-get/dpkg do not allow to have both versions installed at the same time. Uninstalled, installed, restarted and so forth many times.

1. Make a custom xml specifically for stable Debian users removing *all* problematic parts - which includes the RNG unfortunately.
Pretty much a non-solution.
2. Encourage manual upgrades through backports,
Versions from backports are already installed.

I even reinstalled all installed packages (using a small script). No way to fix this system. But this is bad, because I won’t be able to help someone else having a similar problem. Nevermind my/this system. I’ll reinstall when I find time. Hell, like in Windows times.

I am looking forward to see a few other Debian stable users to test KVM.

Maybe when jessie becomes stable we can make KVM the default choice for Whonix on Linux hosts. It has great potential. Even more reason since virtualbox will be no longer in Debian main in jessie (Whonix Virtualization Platforms).

until Jessie hits stable. I hope that happens soon.
Search term "debian jessie freeze". https://release.debian.org/jessie/freeze_policy.html Freeze: 5th of November 2014 Then they start stabilizing "until it's done". So will take quite a while.

Patrick you are unable to start the whonix domains?

Without disabling the parts listed in “debian stable issue #1, #2 and #3” (which is not a good idea), I cannot start any Whonix domains.

hmm, that’s odd because it starts fine for me