CPU mode 'host-passthrough...not supported by hypervisor

Hello, I’ve searched the internet generally and this forum specifically, and find nothing on my particular error. Warning: I’m new to Linux (and computers more generally), but very eager to learn.

The full error is:

Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: CPU mode ‘host-passthrough’ for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 72, in cb_wrapper
callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py”, line 108, in tmpcb
callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py”, line 57, in newfn
ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py”, line 1384, in startup
self._backend.create()
File “/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py”, line 1353, in create
raise libvirtError(‘virDomainCreate() failed’)
libvirt.libvirtError: unsupported configuration: CPU mode ‘host-passthrough’ for x86_64 qemu domain on x86_64 host is not supported by hypervisor

Thank you

moderation comment:
Moved to Whonix KVM forums.

I suspect this is a BIOS configuration issue.

You should check your BIOS settings and ensure that any of the below are enabled:

• Virtualization
  • SVM
  • VT-x
  • VT-d
  • AMD-V

You won’t find all of those options in all systems but enable any that you can find.

It’s also possible that if your BIOS is outdated then a newer version may present those options or fix any issues with using them.

OK, I have Virtualization, both VT-x and VT-d, enabled. (This is on an Intel, so SVM & AMD-V aren’t applicable, as I understand them.) And I updated the BIOS. Still nothing. I deleted the Gateway and Workstation VMs and am going to try to reinstall them.

Any other suggestions, appreciated.

Thank you, again.

Update: upon reinstallation, and using bash ./whonix-installer-xfce rather than tarball, I got the following error, after which installation :

whonix-installer-xfce: [ERROR]: Invalid guest version: contains unexpected characters.

After this, the installer aborted

That’s VirtualBox version btw.

Yea, I just figured this out. I started from scratch, used VirtualBox instead of KVM, and everything worked smoothly. Thanks.

Fixed.

(Whonix Linux Installer - Development Discussion - #54 by Patrick)