Conversion script for libvirt XML to ppc64(el)?

Currently, the ppc64 and ppc64el Kicksecure/Whonix instructions on the Raptor wiki instruct the user to create a VM themselves to install Debian into. This assumes that the user is competent enough to produce a libvirt configuration that is reasonably secure, which I don’t think is an accurate assumption. I think it would be better if users could use the libvirt XML files that Kicksecure/Whonix ships with. The amd64 XML files that Kicksecure/Whonix ships with are not very hard to adapt to ppc64 and ppc64el, but manually doing the conversion is time-consuming.

I think it would be easy to make a Bash script that converts an amd64 libvirt XML for Kicksecure/Whonix into the equivalent for ppc64 or ppc64el, so users could download the XML files for amd64, run the conversion script, and then import the XML into libvirt. Would Kicksecure be willing to accept such a script? Am I correct in assuming that the right repo is the libvirt-dist repo?

(This work could probably be reusable for a future project of distributing ready-made Kicksecure/Whonix libvirt images for ppc64 and ppc64el, though I assume such a project is not likely to happen soon.)

3 Likes

//cc @HulaHoop

Yes.

But I wouldn’t be able to handle bug reports, feature requests, support requests for it.

Yes.

You’re very welcome to add the code and documentation, though I do’;t have the hardware to test it for. A viable x86 alternative is very much needed. Kudos for working at it.