Configuring wifi on Raspberry Pi

Hi all, my first post in this forum. Thanks for all your hard work here!

I have got Whonix GW booting OK on a Raspberry Pi but my problem is that I have an ethernet and a wifi interface. The idea is to have ethernet running to my router, and a wifi interface acting as an AP for clients to connect to.

The config files all expect two ethernet ports, and that fact seems be hardcoded into a lot of the config scripts. I could maybe edit the scripts but I’m wondering if that’s enough or if I need to rebuild the kernel to be aware of the wifi interface?

Another related problem is that I can’t do much to install wifi drivers etc, because the DNS is not working (by design). But Tor is also not working because one of the interfaces is missing so I’m in catch-22 that I need drivers to get the networking up, and I need networking to install the drivers.

I’ve spent a couple of days fighting this and have run out of ideas.

One obvious idea I had was to somehow temporarily configure the gateway to run DNS over clear networking while I fix everything. I’ve seen a lot of interesting-looking flags in 30_whonix-gateway_default.conf but I’m not sure if it’s even possible?

Hi echelon

You have a couple options

1 Like

Hi @0brand, thanks for the quick response.

Probably a dumb question, but I’m having trouble logging in as the clearnet user. I set up a password and was able to apparently login using su - clearnet but strangely the bash prompt and whoami are still reporting the user as user, and the network behaviour is unchanged. Any ideas what I’m missing here?

Hi echelon

That is a good question. I’m having issues with that as well.

Try:

sudo -su clearnet

Thanks for pointing this out. :+1: I’ll update the documentation.

Done!

https://whonix.org/wiki/Dev/anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor

1 Like

Due to Whonix - Overview anything is possible in theory; but undocumented.