Comments

Even though comments are not preserved… What do you think about commenting all non-obvious settings?

For example Whonix Forum is not obvious to the reader.

For example. Currently:

<filetransfer enable='no'/>?

Suggestion.

<!-- Disable drag and drop by SPICE, so users cannot accidentally copy from guest to host and vice versa. It is recommended to use shared folders in documentation. -->
<filetransfer enable='no'/>?

These comments should ideally be useful to all kinds of audience. Developers such as you and me, so we still remember in a years time why we set which setting, for auditors who are wondering why the fu… we did that and users who are wondering 'well, couldn’t I set “”, what are the risks, would that be okay for me".

Disadvantage is, we would have to mirror all those comments in all xml files, which could be kinda annoying and cumbersome?

Alternatively we could just use Whonix Forum to add one comment, that links to some wiki page, that explains the whole reasoning behind the settings we are using. What do you think?

I think a one liner comment like you suggested to warn people not change anything without reading the implications on the wiki is a fine idea idea. The approach we have taken so far is to put these notes on the KVM wiki page.

This referral comment can actually be written is a way to be preserved using the metadata tags I posted on dev/KVM. It will show up in the gui in the vm description pane. We could add a copyleft notice there too if you like.

Over time this is the best maintainable solution as updating settings and comments won’t involve mirroring them to six different files and will keep the configuration files nice and lean.

Sounds good.

What message do you want to be in there? Once you write something I’ll add it. Do you think I should include my nym with your name in the copyleft notice?

Not sure. Maybe this.

Do not change any settings if you do not understand the consequences! Learn more: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/KVM#XML_Settings

Can expand this later. Open for suggestions.

As you prefer.
[“As you prefer.” is supposed to be a 100% neutral statement. It’s 100% okay if you do as well as 100% okay if you don’t.]