Clarification on state of Torrified Live Mode

I’m a bit confused - is there currently a way to run a Live Mode that forces Tor connections?

Kicksecure supports Live Mode, and has table comparing Kicksecure running through grub-live and Tails. However, Kicksecure does not force tor connections, as far as I understand.

The Whonix docs for live mode all redirect to the Kicksecure docs.

Why not just test if files are persistent or vanish when booting into live mode?

• You can Whonix in live mode. Or,
  • You can run a host operating system such as Debian or Kicksecure in live mode.

Whonix is based on Kicksecure.

Instructions for Whonix are here:

Thanks for that link. Currently under Advanced Security Guide > Live mode, the kicksecure doc for it is linked twice, and that whonix live mode doc is not linked. Maybe a mistake?

Kicksecure used in live mode also has a persistent mode required for software updates - this is unfamiliar to me for live mode, in that it is a distinct workflow from Tails.

If I want to install a Whonix GUEST on a Kicksecure HOST (the HOST is used in live mode), should I do that installation in persistent mode, or live mode?

To explain what I mean, these are the steps I understand to be involved in either route:

Live Mode only

1. Boot into Kicksecure Live mode on host
  2. Install Whonix with whonix-installer
  3. Use Whonix in a live environment. Repeat 1. and 2. for each session.

Persistent Mode equivalent

1. Boot into Kicksecure Persistent mode on host
  2. Install Whonix with whonix-installer
  3. Reboot into Kicksecure Live mode. Use Whonix in a live environment.

Am I correct that the latter Persistent Mode is more the intended use?

Yes.

Your choice.

• If Kicksecure host is in live mode: You would need to re-install Whonix after every reboot. Probably tedious. Unusual I don’t see why it wouldn’t work except RAM requirements would be even higher as the installed Whonix would only be in RAM.
  • If Kicksecure host in persistent mode: That’s what I thought what makes more sense to install Whonix.

Possible, in theory.

Possible.

Yes.

1 Like

I have a question about how this would differ from Whonix-Host in Live mode.

Is forthcoming Whonix-Host equivalent to the Persistent mode set up described above (i.e. Kicksecure with whonix-installer run), but just with the difference of using kvm instead of virtualbox?

Or does Whonix-Host boot into Whonix-Workstation directly, rather than the Kicksecure HOST?

Whonix-Host by default will boot into persistent mode. There will most
likely be a live mode (non-persistent) boot option in the boot menu too.

Or does Whonix-Host boot into Whonix-Workstation directly, rather than the Kicksecure HOST?

No.