Changing kvm images location?

I downloaded Whonix kvm, and then imported the .xml templates, but i don’t have enough free space on my linux installation. I put whonix gataway and whonix workstation images on different partition, but how to make virt manager work with them? I mounted the partition to /var/lib/libvirt/images but when i try to start any of the images virt manager say: “no such file or directoy”.

I did a test and moved whonix-gateway image to var/lib/libvirt/images but still can’t start it. I get this:

Error starting domain: Cannot access storage file '/var/lib/libvirt/images/Whonix-Gateway.qcow2' (as uid:64055, gid:64055): No such file or directory

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 75, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 111, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/libvirtobject.py", line 66, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1400, in startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1080, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirt.libvirtError: Cannot access storage file '/var/lib/libvirt/images/Whonix-Gateway.qcow2' (as uid:64055, gid:64055): No such file or directory

No idea but alternatively… Try with a Debian VM. Then:

Hi try this and report back

1 Like

I get this error even if i move the images to /var/lib/libvirt/images. So, the location doesn’t seem to be the issue.

Will i have security issue if my host os is debiian 10 and i use whonix 16 vm?

No and this is the most widely used setup with the most testing.

I can use whonix vm, but why i am getting this error when i try to use whonix kvm? What should be the ownership and permissions for /var/lib/libvirt/images/ and /var/lib/libvirt/images/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE-16.0.2.7.Intel_AMD64.qcow2?

If you followed the instructions, this image file is renamed to just Whonix-Gateway.qcow2 when moved. Without it being renamed, it won’t work because the vm settings refer to this filename instead.