Can't proceed installation on Secure Boot Configuration step

I am trying to install fresh whonix on ubuntu 23.
Secureboot is enabled on my machine.
I am using default standard installation method through bash script.
Everything goes well until “Secure boot configuration” window appears.
There is a “button” <ok> down that you need to press, but I can’t do it.

I already googled it - nothing works.
I tried:

• pusing right or left arrows several times
  • pushing ctrl+mousewheel down
  • ctrl+pgdown
  • shift+pgdown
  • tab
  • enter
  • space
  • esc
  • every single button on my keyboard with or without ctrl or shift

Any keyboard input just prints some code in terminal window (like ^[;1, i don’t know what’s it called and why is it even here)

Absolutely no input doesn’t work. Pressing enter multiple times just makes window slide up.
Is there any way to proceed?

Update: I closed terminal window and tried running bash script command (bash ./whonix-xfce-installer-cli) again, now it prints this:

whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Architecture detected:  'x86_64'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: System detected: 'Linux'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Distribution/Derivative name detected: 'Ubuntu 23.10' / '(No derivative detected.)'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Distribution/Derivative version detected: '23.10' / '(No derivative detected.)'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Initiating installation of hypervisor-required packages... Please wait, as this could take a while...
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer aborted due to an error.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: No need to panic. Nothing is broken. Just some rare condition has been hit.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: A solution likely exists for this issue.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: If the issue does not recur on retry, it can be safely ignored as transient.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Consult Whonix News and the User Help Forum for assistance.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Please report this bug if it has not been already.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: An error occurred at line: '1673'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Please include the user log and the debug log in your bug report.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: (For file locations where to find these logs, see above.)
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer exited with code: '2'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Executed script, function, command executed: './whonix-xfce-installer-cli' 'install_package_debian_common' 'dpkg_audit_output="$(dpkg --audit 2>&1)"'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer aborted due to an error.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: No need to panic. Nothing is broken. Just some rare condition has been hit.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: A solution likely exists for this issue.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: If the issue does not recur on retry, it can be safely ignored as transient.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Consult Whonix News and the User Help Forum for assistance.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Please report this bug if it has not been already.

whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: An error occurred at line: '1673'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Executed script, function, command executed: './whonix-xfce-installer-cli' 'handle_exit' 'dpkg_audit_output="$(dpkg --audit 2>&1)"'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Signal received: 'PIPE'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [ERROR]: Installer exited with code: '141'

Restarting ubuntu doesn’t help, loading script again through curl doesn’t help too.
Is there any way to reset installation completely and start from the scratch? Does it require searching for some cache files somewhere on the system? I’ve looked in some folders and found nothing related to whonix installation.
Can I start installation by the old way (downloading ISO etc) now, or something is now broken on my system and won’t work or install properly at all?

The error message will be improved in next version. Here is what the error message will tell by then:

• What happened in simple terms? This installer has performed a check to ensure it’s sane to proceed, which has failed.
  • What exactly happened? The command ‘dpkg --audit’ generated output, signaling a system issue.
  • What was the expected behavior? The ‘dpkg --audit’ command should execute without producing any output.
  • Is this installer to blame for the issue? It’s unlikely that this installer is the root cause of the issue.
  • So, what might have caused it? The issue likely originates from pre-existing DPKG / APT package management system issues on your machine.
  • What steps should you take now? Start by running the following command yourself:

dpkg --audit

• What should you do after that? Analyze the output of the command to identify and address the underlying problem. Once resolved, you can re-run this installer.

• Do you have any suggestions? The following link might offer helpful insights:

https://www.kicksecure.com/wiki/Operating_System_Software_and_Updates#Broken_APT

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, consider reaching out to your operating system’s support team for assistance.

So, I can’t press the button in “Secure boot configuration” because of bug somewhere in ubuntu?

The point is, I just can’t press the button on “Configuring Secure boot” step during installation.
My system is a clean, fresh install of ubuntu, I seriously doubt that it has some issues in package management system :slight_smile:

Reinstalling system and running installation again produces the same non-responsive “Configuring secure boot window” again.

Yes.

Not my code, not my prompt. I cannot help you with that. Same issue would happen without the installer.

You need to seek support for Ubuntu.

I somehow fixed the issue with DPKG, run the script again, it goes as usual (right now it’s downloading the .ova files), except for this lines (WARN messages). Are they critical?

Calculating upgrade...
The following packages have been kept back:
  alsa-ucm-conf libsgutils2-1.46-2 ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-minimal
  ubuntu-minimal ubuntu-standard
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Command executing: $ sudo -- adduser user vboxusers
info: Adding user `user' to group `vboxusers' ...
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [WARN]: VirtualBox Kernel Module Loaded Test Result: 'no' - file /dev/vboxdrv does not exist. This probably means that the vboxdrv kernel module has not been load yet.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Running: $ sudo -- modprobe vboxdrv
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [WARN]: VirtualBox Kernel modprobe output: 'modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Key was rejected by service'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Virtualization Support Test: Your CPU supports virtualization: 'amd': 'svm'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Testing internet connection...
verify depth is 4
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Connection to rsync://www.whonix.org succeeded.
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Detecting guest version...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   274    0   274    0     0    860      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   861
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Version: '17.0.4.5'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Downloads will be stored in the directory: '/home/user/dist-installer-cli-download'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Downloading: 'rsync://whonix.org/whonix/ova/17.0.4.5/Whonix-Xfce-17.0.4.5.ova'
whonix-xfce-installer-cli: [NOTICE]: Command executing: $ timeout --foreground 2700 rsync-ssl --no-motd --progress --verbose --verbose --timeout 600 --compress --partial --max-size 3G rsync://whonix.org/whonix/ova/17.0.4.5/Whonix-Xfce-17.0.4.5.ova /home/user/dist-installer-cli-download
opening connection using: /usr/bin/rsync-ssl --HELPER whonix.org rsync --server --daemon .  (7 args)
verify depth is 4
sending daemon args: --server --sender -vvze.LsfxCIvu --timeout=600 . whonix/ova/17.0.4.5/Whonix-Xfce-17.0.4.5.ova  (6 args)
delta-transmission enabled

“Critical” as in VirtualBox probably won’t be able to start VMs.

You need to figure that out. And here’s the wrong place to ask as these are SecureBoot, Ubuntu issues.

Come back after you figured out how to get SecureBoot, VirtualBox under control.