Can workstation performance be sped up or HW bottlenecking?

– i did try try registering an account att unix stackexchange, however it’s not possible to make a post:

Your post cannot be submitted at this time due to the volume of spam and abuse originating from your network. We apologize for any inconvenience. See the help center for more.

Debian wheezy 7.1 64 as host. Two guest OS’s through Virtualbox - whonix workstation 7 and gateway 7.

in Virtualbox workstation has 954 working memory assigned to it, 128 mb video memory.
Gateway has 324 mb, 8 mb respectively (runs in console mode).

Increasing above is the only tip regarding increasing performance in whonix documentation have, however it’s advised against in virtualbox (for workstation) to increase more

HW specs:
2GB RAM
athlon 64x dual core 3800 + x2

The workstation is slow overall. Opening Dolphin file manager takes 8 seconds. Opening more than about 20 tabs in TOR browser have resulted in freezing the OS, which goes away if waiting. It’s only used for browsing through TOR, and sometimes navigating the file system.

BIOS has a setting for virtualization, but it doesn’t apply to this setup (as far as I remember, going to reboot and check the wording again).

Any point to me trying to researching and configuring for performance, or simply HW (I’m guessing CPU) too crappy?

I don’t see the connection between Whonix performance and StackExchange eventually being not tor friendly.

[quote=“Greenwhonix, post:2, topic:52”]I don’t see the connection between Whonix performance and StackExchange eventually being not tor friendly.[/quote]Right, in the sticky it says to take these kinds of questions to SE. Since I was unable to post there, I made a post here, explaning why.

Usually asking on stackexchange works. If not well… Anyway… Certainly okay to ask here this kind of question.

No idea what kind of performance can be expected from that kind of hardware.

BIOS virtualization setting is important. If you wouldn’t have AMD-V (VT-X) enabled, you would know. (Start Whonix ™)

I am not sure I can do anything about it. Most times these aren’t issues introduced by Whonix. Can you try please installing Debian KDE in VirtualBox and compare speed?

[quote=“reverend22, post:3, topic:52”][quote author=Greenwhonix link=topic=32.msg264#msg264 date=1391956059]
I don’t see the connection between Whonix performance and StackExchange eventually being not tor friendly.
[/quote]Right, in the sticky it says to take these kinds of questions to SE. Since I was unable to post there, I made a post here, explaning why.[/quote]
FYI: not sure about stackexchange in particular, but lots of websites do not block Tor per se but certain exit nodes (often automated through integrated anti-spam solutions). you may try to close the current curcuit and reload the page (through another curcuit) and you may be able to use the site.

You could get bare-metal speed using whonix in qubes-os. But Xen code was hacked by the NSA guy, so you cannot trust it. Also qemu-kvm still does not provide any hardware-based solutions like XEN.