Can Whonix-GW-12 be set as ClockVM?

Glad to see that Whonix-Gateway-12 now functions seamlessly as UpdateVM - even with Transparent Proxy off. :+1:

I currently have my Global ClockVM set to my Whonix-GW. I have no idea what the Qubes ClockVM does but qubes-dom0-update returns “Time sync failed”. Is that related? Is Whonix-GW as ClockVM supported? Thanks!

its better to report it to the upstream:-

if u want to know the default settings of global settings:-

if u r on the latest kernel it should be :-

`4.1.13-8’

Even better to check Whonix issue tracker. Because we got a ticket for using Qubes-Whonix-Gateway as ClockVM.

https://phabricator.whonix.org/T387

Oops, sorry. (“clock vm” vs “clockvm”). So if I read correctly, currently (Whonix 12), the recommendation is to NOT use Whonix-GW as ClockVM since you don’t want all the VMs (Whonix + non-Whonix) to have the same time. There shouldn’t be any harm in using a non-torrified ClockVM?

entr0py:

Oops, sorry. So if I read correctly, currently (Whonix 12), the
recommendation is to NOT use Whonix-GW as ClockVM since you don’t
want all the VMs (Whonix + non-Whonix) to have the same time.

Don’t use Whonix-Gateway ProxyVM as ClockVM before that ticket was
implemented and landed in a Whonix version you are using.

There
shouldn’t be any harm in using a non-torrified ClockVM?

Advanced Security Guide - Whonix

Also not every bug related to Qubes-Whonix is best upstreamed to Qubes issues. I see this is quite difficult to know where it applies. If it happens in dom0, Qubes menu issues, then it’s mostly native Qubes issues useful for the Qubes tracker. But stuff that is happening inside the Whonix templates, package add requests, are only useful on Whonix sites, not Qubes.

If something is happening with any Qubes VM, let’s say if there was some window flickering or so, then that would be a Qubes-only issue.