Can I insert new HDD and Wi-Fi-USB in my laptop instead of using separate one for hosting Whonix?

In Documentation I read that it is better to use separate laptop just to host Whonix. If I use new HDD and new Wi-Fi USB in my laptop and also delete internal Wi-Fi module - will this somehow differ from separate laptop?

Good day,

debetable. Some will say that, as long as you don’t “pull out” your WiFi-card, using a USB one won’t change much as your MAC-adress from it can still be read by the host. Some will say the same for the HDD built in. The thing is that there are not that many studies to really prove or disprove anything really. Personally though, it’d say, as long as you use FDE on the external drive you shouldn’t have to worry to much, though like I’ve said, this is just my opinion, as information on this kind of topic is rare.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Yes.

The reason why new hardware is recommended is that previously used host
operating systems especially such as Windows might have increased the
chances, that the hardware is now infected with a hardware virus. Since
detection and removal of these is next to for any ‘mortal’, your best
bet is starting to use a secure host operating system on more likely
clean hardware.

(Off-topic: Ego, you got mail. Unrelated to this.)

Well as I wrote - I remove Wi-Fi module and HDD - then I can use that laptop as brand new I guess?

No, it doesn’t have the same effect. Because other hardware is also
vulnerable to compromise. Firmware of graphic card, BIOS and much more.

Ok, so the best option is to buy brand new laptop?

Good day,

If you want to be completley safe, pretty much yes.

Have a nice day,

Ego

What is the best place to buy this brand new laptop? I mean can it somehow be traced to shop, where camera can record my face? Or can I buy it in any e-shop online with no worries?

Good day,

sorry to tell you, but that’s a very hard question to answer. Maybe use a shop that accepts anonymous payment (Anonymous Money) and can deliver to some anonymous pickup station…

Have a nice day,

Ego