Browser download terminology

When I downloaded the Tor browser I got this message during the signature check:

[code]Installation confirmation

Currently installed version:
None installed. (Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser_en-US does not exist.)
Downloaded version :

We have not previously accepted a signature yet. Therefore assisted check for downgrade or indefinite freeze attacks skipped. Please check the Current Signature Creation Date looks sane.

Previous Signature Creation Date:
Unknown. Probably never downloaded a signature before.
Last Signature Creation Date :
September 21 12:11:41 UTC 2015
…[/code]

What is the ‘Current Signature Creation Date’ being referred to? I think it must mean the Last Signature Creation Date, but this seems to indicate that the dialog’s language needs to be fixed.

Tor Browser is currently not installed. (Folder /home/user/.tb/tor-browser_en-US does not exist.) Start Tor Browser Updater (by Whonix Developers)?

I’m getting this in my anon appvm based on whonix-ws (after I installed the Tor browser in template, exited template, started appvm).

It looks to me like the TBB installer should only be run in the workstation appvms, not the whonix-ws template, since the browser resides in /rw. Can the default menus be altered to reflect this?

Also, the language of the binary install guide gives the wrong impression:
“There is no auto-update feature for Tor Browser. You will be notified about new Tor Browser versions by Whonixcheck. When you start a Whonix Workstation (commonly called whonix-ws)…”

I think this tells the reader: At this point go into the whonix-ws template to install the Tor browser.

Probably, the ‘Tor Browser’ section of the install guide should be re-phrased and moved to the workstation setup page:

[quote=“cprise, post:1, topic:1430”]When I downloaded the Tor browser I got this message during the signature check:

Downloaded version :

We have not previously accepted a signature yet. Therefore assisted check for downgrade or indefinite freeze attacks skipped. Please check the Current Signature Creation Date looks sane.

…[/code]

What is the ‘Current Signature Creation Date’ being referred to? I think it must mean the Last Signature Creation Date, but this seems to indicate that the dialog’s language needs to be fixed.[/quote]

Last Signature Creation Date: The cached one. From the file we downloaded last time.
Current Signature Creation: the one of the file that we downloaded just now.

Suggestions on better, less ambiguous wording are welcome. Since that screen is unspecific to Qubes, please post it in the development sub forum.

All textual strings can be found in this file btw:

It looks to me like the TBB installer should only be run in the workstation appvms, not the whonix-ws template, since the browser resides in /rw. Can the default menus be altered to reflect this?
Good you bring this up. I was wondering about this also. Please have a look at the wording for next version, that included Qubes TemplateVM specific advice: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,1381.msg10178.html#msg10178

Please check if the new text makes it clear. Suggest better wording if applicable. Nevertheless - even with the improved wording - Whonix Forum would be a good place to suggest to remove it from Qubes-Whonix-Workstation TemplateVM default Qubes start menu also. [Could still be manually added again to the default Qubes start menu then.] I was wondering if that would cause less confusion.
Tor Browser Updater (Whonix) start menu entries could theoretically also be totally hidden in Whonix TemplateVMs. Or Tor Browser Updater (Whonix) could refuse to work in TemplateVMs. That’s what Whonix Forum is about. But I guess such extreme measures are not useful.

Also, the language of the [i]binary install guide[/i] gives the wrong impression: "There is no auto-update feature for Tor Browser. You will be notified about new Tor Browser versions by Whonixcheck. When you start a Whonix Workstation [b](commonly called whonix-ws)[/b]..."

I think this tells the reader: At this point go into the whonix-ws template to install the Tor browser.

Thanks, fixed!

Probably, the 'Tor Browser' section of the install guide should be re-phrased _and_ moved to the workstation setup page: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes/Create_Workstation_AppVMs
Still required?

[quote=“Patrick, post:3, topic:1430”][quote author=cprise link=topic=1717.msg10381#msg10381 date=1442970112]
When I downloaded the Tor browser I got this message during the signature check:

Downloaded version :

…[/code]

What is the ‘Current Signature Creation Date’ being referred to? I think it must mean the Last Signature Creation Date, but this seems to indicate that the dialog’s language needs to be fixed.
[/quote]

Last Signature Creation Date: The cached one. From the file we downloaded last time.
Current Signature Creation: the one of the file that we downloaded just now.

Suggestions on better, less ambiguous wording are welcome. Since that screen is unspecific to Qubes, please post it in the development sub forum.

All textual strings can be found in this file btw:
https://github.com/Whonix/tb-updater/blob/master/usr/bin/update-torbrowser[/quote]
Previous vs Last is also documented here btw: