Bitmessage requires Python 2.7.5 - how to update?

On current Whonix is Python 2.7.3 installed.
The current Bitmessage requires python 2.7.5.
apt-get install python says it is up-to-date.
How can i update to python >=2.7.5 ?

See also:

How to do it on Debian stable? → That’s how you can do it in Whonix (based on Debian stable).

Maybe a general Linux support forum can help better:

Maybe Bitmessage forums have instructions for Debian stable (that should work on Whonix without modification).

This is a bug that was introduced only a few days ago upon the release of Bitmessage 0.4.3, but the main developer fixed it yesterday so it works with python 2.7.3 again. The bitmessage version number hasn’t changed from 0.4.3, but it “just works” with whonix now if you install/clone the most recent github.

By the way, Bitmessage also works nicely with the recently released Tails 1.1 when saved to a persistent volume - just change the bitmessage settings to “Run in Portable Mode” so all files get written to the persistent volume and change the network settings to “SOCKS5” on port 9151 to prevent an excessive number of Tor streams from being created (and, to better tweak the stream usage, I also think setting the authentication username/pass to something like bitmessage/bitmessage will isolate the steam(s) used by bitmessage from those used for web browsing, etc).

In my opinion bitmessage is the best option for anonymous/private messaging, because it’s the only project trying to address the issue of spam in a way that protects anonymity/privacy with its POW system. Moreover, it’s impossible to be anonymous without getting a system used by the general public who can’t realistically be expected to use anonymizing features properly unless messages are encrypted by default with keys that are integral to the messaging system. Spam and cumbersome encryption keys are the two things that have caused past anonymity/privacy schemes to be refused by email users and, as far as I know, bitmessage is the only email alternative project that has tried to address these root causes of insecurity.