Automatic logon into VT1 -- how to turn that off?

Hey there,

Whenever you start Whonix there is an automatic logon into Virtual Terminal 1 (one). While I am sure there is a good design philosophy behind this, I find it annoying because at shutdown time I have to confirm I want to kill this active session.

So, how can I prevent this VT1 from being logged into automatically at boot time?

/etc/inittab

This will be solved with Whonix 11 which will be released very soon.

Hi,

I saw that this is now off by default. How do I turn it on (as I preferred the old behavior)? I tried creating a inittab file but it still asks for login.

Cheers!

/etc/inittab is no longer used because that is now up to systemd. Same as on Debian jessie as per Whonix ™ - Anonymous Operating System.

For anyone else that would like the old behaviour, instead of being told that Whonix 11 is based on Debian Jessie, this solution actually worked:

First do this:

sudo mkdir -pv /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/autologin.conf

This will edit a new file autologin.conf. Here is the text for it:

[Service] ExecStart= ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --autologin $username --noclear %I 38400 linux

Make sure you replace “$username” with the username with which you want login to occur.

From: Autologin to text in Debian Jessie | Some Notes on the Machines