anon-whonix qube

I like using this qube for it’s persistent nature. I like that I can make my “Safer” Tor-Browser security setting permanent, that I can can keep duckduckgo onion as my default search provider and that I can keep bookmarks of my favorite onions.

I just have a few questions pertaining to this setup.

1. What privacy risks/challenges does this present?

2. What would I need to do to clear everything that I’ve done in this qube and return it to it’s orginal “factory default” settings?

What privacy risks/challenges does this present?

Any modification, whether persistent or not, can make you uniquely identifiable as long as it can be detected; for most modifications this means the putative attacker would have to successfully hack into your anon-whonix qube, which is unlikely, but not impossible. Nevertheless it’s probably still a good idea to throw away your anon-whonix and recreate it periodically (and find automated ways to make your modifications if they are many). To do so:

What would I need to do to clear everything that I’ve done in this qube and return it to it’s orginal “factory default” settings?

Create a new AppVM based on the whonix workstation template. If you have also modified the template, use the Qubes Template Manager to reinstall the template (and don’t forget to update it after you reinstall).

Unspecific to Whonix.

Can be resolved as per:

Same as if using Tor Browser when not using Whonix.

Same as if using (a Debian) Qube without Whonix.