Advice on GUI Toolkits

I’ve been practicing my Python lately - hopefully, I’ll have code to contribute in the future. I need to pick a GUI toolkit going forward. I see @iry and @troubadour are using PyQT5. Is that to stay native to KDE? or do you have strong opinions on that choice? The alternative would be to study PyGObjects per Qubes’ guidelines (and consistency with their future GNOME integration). I’ve used .Net before - is it fair to say these toolkits are all somewhat similar?

3 Likes

Not an expert here. However I know that an advantage of PyQt is its cross platform implementation besides the underlying GUI framework being a first class citizen on KDE.

2 Likes

entr0py:

I’ve been practicing my Python lately - hopefully, I’ll have code to contribute in the future.

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing your code in the future, @entr0py!

I need to pick a GUI toolkit going forward. I see @iry and @troubadour are using PyQT5. Is that to stay native to KDE? or do you have strong opinions on that choice? The alternative would be to study PyGObjects per Qubes’ guidelines (and consistency with their future GNOME integration). I’ve used .Net before - is it fair to say these toolkits are all somewhat similar?

I myself do not have a strong a opinion on what we should use. The
reason why I use PyQt5 to develop anon-connection-wizard is because it
had been written in PyQt by @troubadour by the time I started.

However, maybe we can discuss and research the the most suitable toolkit
for development.

For example, I know that Tails is mainly using GTK applications.
Therefore, if you would like to develop an general application which may
also benefit Tails, and Whonix does not consider GTK as a problem, then
we may consider to use GTK, too.

2 Likes