Advanced Security: Disable Control Port Filter Proxy

I was trying to apply the steps in the followin to workstation and gateway templatevms:

For whatever reason, i couldn’t get it to connect to tor again. if I understand it right timesync should still work just fine (i didnt remove that one at all).

[quote=“igijo, post:1, topic:899”]I was trying to apply the steps in the followin to workstation and gateway templatevms:

For whatever reason, i couldn’t get it to connect to tor again. if I understand it right timesync should still work just fine (i didnt remove that one at all).[/quote]

Under…

Which one were you trying to apply?

Static VirtualBox IP

Disable Control Port Filter Proxy

FYI: Generally a lot of these guides are still written with VirtualBox in mind and the Qubes + Whonix port now has a bit different networking architecture. So there may at times be conflicts with Qubes + Whonix.

I ignored the vbox stuff.

-I didnt do Advanced Security Guide - Whonix

Will implement this on my end soon and get back to you! :smiley:

Related, “was wondering how we handle documentation when those are slightly different for various platforms.”:

(Feel free to make a separate topic for that in the website sub forum if it would require more discussion.)

I implemented the Whonix instructions for Disable CPFP in Qubes + Whonix…

And like @igijo, my Whonix-Workstation dropped its Tor connectivity instantly upon the third step of reloading the Whonix-Gateway firewall:

sudo nano /etc/whonix_firewall.d/50_user
CONTROL_PORT_FILTER_PROXY_ENABLE=0
sudo whonix_firewall

I poked around a bit further in trying to isolate the issue, but haven’t found what it is yet.

Someone more familiar with the Workstation’s use of the Tor package or Whonix firewall have some ideas.

Maybe it is a bug of sorts tied in with Qubes + Whonix specific networking.

Will have to check this out more at some point.

Debugging inspiration:

There should be no differences - if were any - then it would be unrelated - Qubes specific - something would be wrong.

Should show minimal differences.