Add new uwt wrapper

Hi. I am looking for a way to create a new uwt wrapper for custom installed apps.

I found this clue. But I’m probably too dumb to emulate it. :slightly_smiling_face:

For example, I want to create a uwt wrapper for a monerod.

• I added monerod rows in the 3 config files like in the github example (uwt_default, timeprivacy_default, …/overrides/uwt)

• Next, in usr/bin/ I have to rename original “monerod” to “monerod.anondist-orig”, right?

• Then I have to create “monerod.anondist” shell script and “monerod” symlink to the previously created script with this code inside, right?

#!/bin/bash

## Copyright (C) 2012 - 2018 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP <adrelanos@riseup.net>
## See the file COPYING for copying conditions.

export uwtwrapper_parent="${BASH_SOURCE[0]}"
exec /usr/lib/uwtwrapper "$@"

If this is correct, how can I add this code inside the symlink? I can’t edit symlinks with sudoedit.

• Lines starting with # are comments and aren’t important if not submitted as a pull request.
  • Lintian overrides also only important if submitted as a pull request.
  • Manual emulation isn’t explained by that link. debian/uwt.displace would create the symlink but that’s a Debian packaging feature. If emulating that manually, the symlink would have to be created manually.

Best way to make sure everything is correct is to send a pull request so it will be reviewed. But in this case…

monerod supports proxy settings. Not sure torsocks (uwt) should be used in that case.

You need to edit the real file where the symlink points too. Not the symlink.

For monerod a systemd unit would be more appropriate. Similar to how monerod.service is configued on How-to: Use Monero with Wallet Isolation in Qubes-Whonix. That should be documented on Monero (XMR): A Reasonably Private Digital Currency.