add extra browser configured for i2p

(Note: Split by JasonJAyalaP from original Support topic)
( https://forums.whonix.org/t/cant-fix-i2p-no-longer-works-with-the-latest-tor-browser )

I think the way to support (or to use) I2P is to add a simple separate browser, like Firefox (or Iceweasel)

It should be configured for I2P proxy settings, any other connection should be blocked (may include internal settings and firewall) and also I2P outproxies should be deleted so the fingerprinting problems will not occur since all connections would be made inside I2P which share the same user agents with other users.

The next step is to add NoScript and block all by default as an extra caution. “Never remember history” would be the last configuration.

Outproxies are not useful anyway, one should use Tor to browse the outer web anonymously. Very few people or nobody may need outproxies with the current design.

And I should add it’s not a good idea to combine i2p and tor browsers.

Tails has different priorities, they are more concerned with local adversaries and traces on computer so that their browser is more unique than Tor Browser. It could even be argued that the Big Brother is funding Tails so that their agents would be safe against their local adversaries but could be still watched by their Brother.

So their decisions should not affect Whonix decisions.

We may not include i2p by default, but perhaps we can set the configurations so if user installs and opens i2p the preconfigured browser opens with the homepage 127.0.0.1:7657 and with no outproxies and other things by default.

Why? I think if it were working, it would be a good way to to limit browser fingerprinting.

also I2P outproxies should be deleted so the fingerprinting problems will not occur since all connections would be made inside I2P which share the same user agents with other users.
eepSites don't require outproxies. They doing browser fingerprinting would be of concern.

[quote=“z, post:1, topic:208”]I think the way to support (or to use) I2P is to add a simple separate browser, like Firefox (or Iceweasel)

It should be configured for I2P proxy settings, any other connection should be blocked (may include internal settings and firewall) and also I2P outproxies should be deleted so the fingerprinting problems will not occur since all connections would be made inside I2P which share the same user agents with other users.

The next step is to add NoScript and block all by default as an extra caution. “Never remember history” would be the last configuration.[/quote]
That sounds like “we create our own privacy enhanced browser”. This is a sinkhole. The better way to do this is using a project that already focuses on producing a privacy enhanced browser, which is Tor Browser.

Why not safe the effort and either solve https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/10419 or preferably even the root, https://trac.i2p2.de/ticket/726? I find it disappointing, that no one in the i2p community is working to get a privacy enhanced browser as default suggestion for i2p users. In TorBirdy you can choose Tor, JonDo or Whonix. I guess with a little work, Tor Browser could become Privacy Browser which could then support Tor and i2p.

Reported this as bug against Tor Browser, seems unlikely to change again: