Accidently Sent BCH Cash to BTC Wallet

Hi,
I have no idea if this is the correct place to ask this. Basically my problem is I sent Bit Coin Cash to a BTC Wallet. The user gave me his BTC wallet address and I had a bitcoin wallet (That had both BTC and BCH in it) and sent him bitcoin cash to his BTC wallet. I wasn’t aware this could even be done but apparently it can. It’s my understanding that he can recover it basically by creating a BCH wallet with the same address I guess but correct me if I’m wrong. His question is can he use the BCH wallet with whonix? I guess this would be so he could maintain his anonymity. I apologize as I don’t know a lot about cryptocurrency. The user just wants to maintain his privacy and I just want to either get my BCH cash back so I can send him BTC or make it so he can recover the BCH and maintain his privacy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I’m a noob that clearly didn’t know what I was doing. Please help!

Let’s clear the confusion.
If you sent BTC then the transaction is on the BTC blockchain.
If you sent BCH then it’s on the BCH blockchain.
It is correct both coins use same type of address and so errors like that can occur.
To solve it, the receiver needs to import the private keys to the other coin.
For example, if you actually sent BTC and he only has a BCH wallet, he needs to create a BTC wallet with the private keys of the BCH wallet. He can’t just have the balance move from one coin to another, that won’t happen.
He needs to create a wallet for the coin that fits the transaction that actually tok place.

And yes, he can work with both BTC and BCH wallets within Whonix.

2 Likes

@sheep Thank You Very Much For Clearing this up you made my whole week!

He’s asking how to create a bitcash wallet in whonix. Can you @sheep give us step by step instructions on on how to do this create the bitcash wallet to recover it in whonix. I’m sorry it I’m sure this is easy for some folks but we are both new to this. Thanks @sheep really appreciate any guidance you can provide.
Thanks

Whonix is based on Debian. Look for instructions to create a bitcash wallet for Debian/linux.

I did it quite a while ago, I don’t recall which wallet I used. As @0brand advised, look for bitcoin cash wallet for Linux or Debian (or even specifically for Ubuntu, more info online and the instructions are mostly the same or very similar to Debian).

You need to use a wallet that has an import private keys feature.

Ok thanks for your help I googled Bitcoin Cash wallet for Linux and Ubuntu. The same result comes up at the top all though I can’t post links here. If you think of the wallets name you used @sheep that might really help us cause right now its like the blind leading he f’ing blind. You’d think I’d know more about this since I worked in a bitcion mining facility for a few months but I don’t I’m sorry. So once we find the right wallet how to we import the private keys? does he just create a linux wallet with the same private keys as his bitcoin wallet?

Would the Electron Cash Wallet fit this description? @sheep @0brand Thats the only one I’ve found that appears to fit this description. I get the instructions on how to install it just want to know how you do so with the private keys

Electron should meet your requirements. Likely all that need to be done is copy over you mnemonic seed phrase to the new wallet and punch in your password.

Be sure to verify the AppImage before using. Also, there have been reports of counterfeit Electron websites. If you install an Electron wallet from one of these sites your BCH Cash will be stolen. Double check that your downloading from the official Electron site. https://electroncash.org/

Keep in mind you should always follow software installation Best Practices when possible.

Ok cool I passed along the information. Thanks @0brand much appreciated

I would not ever enter any Bitcoin private keys into any third party wallet which is untrustworthy (such as BSV). The third party wallet could steal the Bitcoin. To avoid this issue there is a technique called “Save Split”.

When searching the internet for
save split cold storage
or something it might come up. I won’t explain in depth here since it’s a deep down crypto currency subject which is already covered elsewhere. Just wanted to mention it.

What does BSV have to do with that? He asks about BCH and BTC. The problem he describes isn’t related to the BSV/BCH split.

What is your idea of a trustworthy wallet then? they are all “third party”. Are you coding it yourself? Or do you suggest the user run a full node and use its wallet?

I didn’t manage to find anything relevant by using this and similar searches, a specific link will be appreciated.

micky via Whonix Forum:

What does BSV have to do with that?

It’s used as an example for an untrustworthy wallet to avoid calling BCH
untrustworthy but I really shouldn’t have called any names even when
with BSV it’s as close to a consensus as it can get, I guess.

He asks about BCH and BTC. The problem he describes isn’t related to the BSV/BCH split.

Same as above.

What is your idea of a trustworthy wallet then? they are all “third party”.

None is “trustworthy” to share the key to access on coins on two
different chains. It’s just prudent to limit exposure of keys. This also
presupposes using different VMs.

Safe Split means:

• move coins away from BTC (or any other important chain) first so if
    the keys you are going to import into another wallet are worthless

• then use the private keys (empty on BTC chain) on any other chain such
    as with a BCH wallet

Are you coding it yourself?

No, certainly not required.

Or do you suggest the user run a full node and use its wallet?

No need for full node as far as safe split is concerned.

Ok, if you meant “make sure the BTC address has no balance before importing the private keys to the BCH wallet” I can agree with this precaution. With or without the fancy names :slight_smile:

1 Like