14-15 Issues ? uninstall-> install

so I chose to uninstall and reinstall, changing all appvms and sys-whonix-14 to “dummy” template

also changed the ws-dvm to dummy and changed all dispvm prefs to non whonix-ws

on removing the qubes-template-whonix-gw-14 it worked but I go these messages

Running transaction
  Erasing     : qubes-template-whonix-gw-14-4.0.1-201901231238.noarch                                                                                                                     1/1 
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/whitelisted-appmenus.list: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/vm-whitelisted-appmenus.list: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/root.img.part.01: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/root.img.part.00: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/netvm-whitelisted-appmenus.list: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/icon.png: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/clean-volatile.img.tar: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/apps.templates: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/apps.tempicons: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14/apps: remove failed: No such file or directory
warning: file /var/lib/qubes/vm-templates/whonix-gw-14: remove failed: No such file or directory
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-gw-14-4.0.1-201901231238.noarch 

I then ran

sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.anon-whonix

after 5-10 minutes I saw some popups that it was starting sys-whonix then halting it, and now after 30 minutes I see nothing happening

now I do see a whonix-ws-14 Template but no whonix-gw Template , not sure why it installed “14” again

I can let it run overnight, but I really don’t want to create “an unstable system” (which btw the URL it links to is broken How-to: Install the Stable Version of Qubes-Whonix ™ 16 )

so what do I do next ?

PS: my sys-whonix-14 still says -14 I assume what could happen is the qubesctl is supposed to create a new sys-whonix-15 or would I just be changing the Template from ‘dummy’ to the new whonix-gw-15 if it ever happens, and rename the AppVM myself to -15

PPS: the install is NOT via Tor obviously I’m not sure who that would even be possible, if one hasn’t a whonix-gw-14 Template installed ??!

final edit
4th edit, so finally on broadband it took 30 minutes + but it install -14 not -15 so what now

Step Adjust Whonix Version Number has to be applied.

Just now added.

In dom0.

Open file whonix.jinja with root rights.

sudo nano /srv/formulas/base/virtual-machines-formula/qvm/whonix.jinja

Change 14 to 15 .

Save.

Until mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines version v4.0.16 or above enters Qubes stable repository.

[1] Whonix 15 by adrelanos · Pull Request #17 · QubesOS/qubes-mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines · GitHub
[2] mgmt-salt-dom0-virtual-machines v4.0.16 (r4.0) · Issue #1184 · QubesOS/updates-status · GitHub

ok this time finished in 961 seconds apparently successful on -15 :sunny:

btw, should I not worry about the uninstall error messages?

and thank you very much for the all your work

PS: is editing /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy

the same as sudo qubesctl state.sls qvm.updates-via-whonix ?

Mine looks like this

@dom0 ~]$ !1022
cat /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix
# Default rule for all TemplateVMs - direct the connection to sys-net

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-whonix

$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix
$tag:whonix-updatevm $anyvm deny

## Note that policy parsing stops at the first match,
## so adding anything below "$anyvm $anyvm action" line will have no effect

## Please use a single # to start your custom comments

# Default rule for all TemplateVMs - direct the connection to sys-net

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net

$anyvm $anyvm deny

but I believe sys-net was used for non-whonix Templates, maybe Global Settings overrides the /policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy ??

C0ufViKJM4vBM7ge via Whonix Forum:

btw, should I not worry about the uninstall error messages?

General template uninstallation issue of Qubes. You can report to

and should I delete the sys-whonix-14 or just change it to “dummy” ?

Up to you.