Whonix inaccessible in virtual box

I am totally new to whonix. I have done everything to import whonix (gateway and workstation) in virtualbox on my main pc. It worked in the sense that I could see the OS but I could not do anything, maybe because i lacked connection, I dont know. Anyway the machines were active.
Now i have put the usb key with xubuntu in my portable pc, which is where i will use whonix and virtualbox, but when i start virtualbox it says that both whonix are inaccessible. In error details: runtime error opening /media/xubuntu/c4rd1ng/Whonix-Gateway/Whonix-gateway.vbox for reading: -102 file not found

…etc etc
Result code NS error failure

Component Interface: machinewrapIMachine …

Good day,

could you please post the entire error, not just a part of it, otherwise, critical elements are not readable.

Have a nice day,

Ego

runtime error opening ‘/media/xubuntu/Krypton/Whonix-Gateway/Whonix-Gateway.vbox’ for reading: -102(File not found.).
/build/virtualbox-uG8K9a/virtualbox-5.0.4-dfsg/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[736] (nsresult Machine::i_registeredInit()).
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}

I use xubuntu on usb device. I have installed virtualbox and whonix. while the Usb was on my main pc, it was all ok. Then i have moved it on my notebook and i have had this error. I need to use it on my notebook necessarly.

Which VirtualBox version?

Makes a difference…
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch10.html

This is not Whonix specific. It is a question purely on VirtualBox usage. The same would happen with any non-Whonix VMs, such as Debian VMs. Try.

The question really is on how to use VirtualBox in a portable way. By stripping “Whonix” from your question, you get access to other sources of information and support.