Stuck At Starting Gateway & Workstation

I’ve followed everything, I think. Same as last time I tried this, I get this error when trying to start the Gateway…

Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid: network ‘Whonix’ is not active

Is it something simple I’ve missed? Thanks!

PS: I had it set up and running under VirtualBox just fine, but was told to use KVM instead.

Okay, I did miss a command. I got both machines running now. However, I have a new error…

Error connecting to graphical console.
Error opening Spice console, SpiceClientGtk missing

Help!

Okay, I changed the Display in settings to the VNC instead of Spice and got it to start up in a graphical interface, but it’s using only like the center 2/3’s of the screen. Not sure that I’m not gonna just go back the the Virtualbox, it was way easier lol!

I’m back up and running on Virtualbox. I’m comfortable here. : )

What host OS? Did you install Spice?

I guess if you’re happy with VBox then…

No, I did not know I had to install Spice. I was following the instructions on the install page, and it said nothing of installing Spice. I would sure like to try again, but it seems KVM is for more advanced users? Is Virtualbox that bad?

Linux Mint 18 Sarah 64-bit kernel is 4.4.0-38 generic x86_64

I was following the instructions on the install page, and it said nothing of installing Spice.

That’s because Debian apt installs spice as a dependency of the libvirt package automatically.

Is Virtualbox that bad?

Based on facts yes.

Okay, I’m back to where I need to install Spice, I guess. I cannot figure out how to do that. Anyone?

I would love to get the KVM server up and running. I am a noob to this, though, but I was pretty happy I got the Virtualbox version up and running. Is there a better forum here to flesh this out? Thanks!

Since you are using a non-Debian distro the best I can suggest is to follow a Mint tutorial to get it working:

Thanks, I’ll go have a look.

What command did you miss? I’m having the same error (“Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid: network ‘Whonix’ is not active”).

EDIT: I figured it out. I found the following steps in the original installation:

virsh -c qemu:///system net-autostart default
virsh -c qemu:///system net-start default

Apparently, you also need:

virsh -c qemu:///system net-autostart Whonix
virsh -c qemu:///system net-start Whonix

I tried different things, but that seemed to get it working.

1 Like