[Solved] Data Lost after backing up .vmdk disk file and importing it on other pc

Hello,

i really someone can help me with my problem! I had to move my whonix workstation to a new pc.
So i copied the whole virtual box vms folder and saved it on a temporary disk. Now i moved the folder
over to my new pc. Im clicking on New vms … select ram etc and use the .vmdk file which i backed up
as disk. But the problem is now that when i boot up the vm all my data is gone and it acts like it is the first
boot time (with asking all the TOS questions / agreements etc).

Ive used this guide to import. But i guess that does not change anything.

Is there anything i can do now? The data was really really important for me! Maybe someone had the same issue
before!

Best regards,

Good day,

Usually you should export your VBox-Machines via the “Export Appliance button”. That way it can be assured that you won’t loose any files. Simply copying the folder is usually something to be avoided as the outcome is uncertain and may depend on your configuration, OS and which folder-type you’ve used.

So, if you are able to, please use the export function.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for your answer! Well i guess i know this now but its already to late. I wiped the old maschine already.
Is there nothing i can do? I mean sorry but it makes 0 sense for me… where is the data than? There was no other
big images other than this .vmdk one.

Best regards,

Good day,

Like said, can vary massively from OS to OS. Also, what you set during initial import. Either way, your folder should (in “normal/standard” configuration) not just contain an “.vmdk file” but also a “.vbox” and “.vbox-prev” file, as well as a “Logs folder”. Now, the last one isn’t necessary, though if you haven’t removed it, it should have been in your folder. Either way, “.vbox” is definetly necessary.

It’s actually a XML file which may be edited with something like Emacs.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Did you use snapshots? That could complicate things.

Hi,

thanks for the answers! Yes i was using a snapshot but only for a clean backup if the original status.
So basically i used the .vbox file and the snapshot folder and it worked!

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

Kind regards

1 Like