Russian MIPS SoC

A new SoC made in Russia makes its debut. After the Snowden revelations, non-US countries got a kick in the nuts to produce their own tech in-house. This is one initiative. Ladies and gentlemen… the Baikal board.

Cue the jokes, “Enjoy your FSB backdoors” and “In Soviet Russia computer programs you”. Its a healthy sign for the human race that finally more than one country has the brains to design its own microchips after more than 60 years later.

but russian gov companies a long ago refused to purchase it supplies, due to margins)))

and, if there also a long time chinese processors are used with Android Linux, equally by resource usage with modern Win/Mac/Linux too, is it an issue of monopoly? seems not as russian processors comparable to Intel appeared long ago, 10 years or more, and chinese work well too - but not used even by national companies such as Ali Cloud too)))

For x86 of course there’s the problem of monopoly because of patents.

Can you share any links about them?

the loongson is being used in house in China. Universities, defense and some companies. Last time I checked the perf was shit but that’s changing.

Offtopic: Since you’re Russian can you tell us how popular Tor and Whonix are there? Also I noticed some exits there block some content but others don’t. Is there a unified censorship regime or is it up to each ISP to decide what to block?

they are two arch present in stock now -

Elbrus
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AD%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B1%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81-8%D0%A1
Baikal
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baikal-T1

story longs approx from 2001))
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%AD%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B1%D1%80%D1%83%D1%81_(%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%BF%D1%8C%D1%8E%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80)#Разработки_МЦСТ

Offtopic: Since you’re Russian can you tell us how popular Tor and Whonix are there? Also I noticed some exits there block some content but others don’t. Is there a unified censorship regime or is it up to each ISP to decide what to block?

very popular))) yes it’s unified list at blocklist.rkn.gov.ru - smart services just as this very cool sample I first met friGate which is now eats TOR/Blockchain DNS - intimcity.link - just hang advice on few fresh mirrors to use tor / vpn / friGate etc addons with links so goin right - people not met any difficults, being ever so far as aliens from hi-tech))) which shows other just laziness)))

can’t say about further TOR IP locking as other initiatives as SSL attacks / BRIC intranet etc, assume it’s sur fantasy for this country as you may see in news lol - but Blockchain DNS being used with same site and links within google robot descript as above solves)))

Blockchain DNS works without TOR, with only one plugin such as popular usable and one click install friGate - irresistable for abuse / ddos / track etc so in trend now in most darknet, and further mb clearnet)))

there works other most effective type of abuse - real prison courts end up to 3 years and some cases even blowed much more, for government / church / other you wish authorities criticism in posts at resources that function under country law - it appears in terrorism cases, extremism etc - massive))) but I seen in EU there also same habbits, so you can get fine fee in $100k’s and even prison, in ru same fines also applies wide…

and, there was a project of same liability for using anonymisers - later became project of blocking vpn etc… now as their ass spread it’s forgotten, but further maybe it raise from knees again)))

that’s why I think such initiatives as tor / whonix / blockchain dns informing actual not only in censed cases…

1 Like