Long Wiki Edits Thread

Doesn’t work. Tried the following:

In Whonix-WS TemplateVM, created a torbrowser.profile in /etc/firejail

Cut and pasted the following text (commented out stuff at very bottom, which otherwise causes failures):

# Firejail profile for tor-browser-en
# This file is overwritten after every install/update
# Persistent local customizations
include /etc/firejail/tor-browser-en.local
# Persistent global definitions
include /etc/firejail/globals.local

blacklist /boot
blacklist /media
blacklist /mnt
blacklist /opt
blacklist /usr/local/bin
blacklist /var

whitelist ${HOME}/.tor-browser-en
whitelist /dev/dri
whitelist /dev/full
whitelist /dev/null
whitelist /dev/ptmx
whitelist /dev/pts
whitelist /dev/random
whitelist /dev/shm
whitelist /dev/snd
whitelist /dev/tty
whitelist /dev/urandom
whitelist /dev/video0
whitelist /dev/zero
include /etc/firejail/whitelist-common.inc

caps.drop all
noroot
seccomp
shell none

# private-bin bash,grep,sed,tail,tor-browser-en,env,id,readlink,dirname,test,mkdir,ln,sed,cp,rm,getconf,file,expr
# FIXME: Spoof D-Bus machine id (tor-browser segfaults when it is missing!)
# https://github.com/netblue30/firejail/issues/955
# private-etc X11,pulse,machine-id
# private-tmp

# noexec /tmp

Save and exit.

Close the Whonix-Workstation TemplateVM and start the Whonix-Workstation AppVM.

Started the application by opening a terminal and running:

$ firejail torbrowser

Whonix complains:

“Tor Browser is not installed at (location). Do you want to install it now?”

Which is not the case.

Anyway, I tried. Moving onto something useful (FAQ edits).

1 Like

Probably because I need to whitelist the correct directory explicitly

/home/user/.tb/tor-browser

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Qubes-Whonix AppArmor instructions with dom0 upgraded to 4.14 kernel breaks AppArmor

http://kkkkkkkkkk63ava6.onion/w/index.php?title=Anon_Connection_Wizard&diff=prev&oldid=32053

Installed onioncircuits by default in Whonix-Gateway

http://kkkkkkkkkk63ava6.onion/w/index.php?title=Whonix_Release_Notes&diff=prev&oldid=32055

Off topic:

1. ⚓ T422 keep an eye on tor-monitor

Can be closed.

Since it was renamed to onioncircuits, packaged in Debian (onioncircuits - Debian Package Tracker) and iry had this added to Whonix 14 (anon-workstation-packages-recommended) already:

onioncircuits - Viewing the status and circuits of Tor

2. ⚓ T399 Switch Debian links in sources.list to .onion (.onions in sources list) is noted as done for Whonix 14, so I presume it can also be closed.

1 Like

On Template “Payments”, suggest you change:

This is not tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to tax deduct these as an expense. Ask a tax advisor.

To →

This does not constitute tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to claim these as tax-deductible expenses. First consult a tax advisor.

The HTTPSEverywhereUserRules trick introduced in Adding User Rules section does not work anymore for me. This is probably due to the Web-extension migration on HTTPSEverywhere.

I have submitted an issue to see how we can get it work:

3 Likes

I got the answer from the HTTPSEverywhere developer:

HTTPSEverywhereUserRules/ is not supported with WebExtensions and won’t be supported. My understanding is that security restrictions for WebExtensions block it from reading from the filesystem in the way that the HTTPSEverywhereUserRules/ approach needed.

I have updated the Wiki page:

4 Likes

torjunkie:

On Template “Payments”, suggest you change:

This is not tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to tax deduct these as an expense. Ask a tax advisor.

To →

This does not constitute tax advice. Corporations who purchase priority support packages may be able to claim these as tax-deductible expenses. First consult a tax advisor.

Done. :slight_smile:

(Plus another small change.)

1 Like

Should we ever move away from mediawiki to another web app… Please veto if you dislike the editing usability of the new web app…

I guess there is a reason why the Qubes website gets relatively fewer contributions… Github web editing is not comfortable…

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forcing .onion on Whonix.org

Good read on USB security:

FAQ -> Done (finally) :sweat_smile:

I think we should cut the tiny section existing in it’s own page (VFAQ) into the FAQ itself and delete that VFAQ page. And also shift up FAQ to the Download section on main TOC page.

Agree?

@Patrick

I think when you did that auto-run on removing certain pages from translation in the last few days, it returned the page edits (including some templates) to their very old (rough) versions.

E.g. look at the Advanced Security Guide. It’s back to where it was a year ago (?) before I spent weeks (months?) fixing it up. There are multiple other pages like that.

Please revert that change, or whatever caused it. It would be very, very painful to try and track down each individual page manually that is back to old, dodgy English and revert them to latest edits.

I also noted Whonix Release Notes disappeared off the main TOC (why? same reason when doing some auto thing on the main documentation page?)

I’ll hold off on edits till then, because if all that work is lost for good… :tired_face:

I see it also affected DoNot, various templates etc.

Could also explain bad links and comments like this on Twitter today:

@Whonix Fix download link for virtualbox gateway/workstation!
View details · Reply Retweet Like

Weird. :confused: Thanks for noticing. Hopefully I figure out how to fix that.

It was never added as far as I know. For sure didn’t manually remove it. Thanks for adding it!

It’s official: I hate mediawiki translate extension!

If you find a broken page… Please go to history… Page → History

Permission error - Whonix

(Removed page from translation) (rollback 10 edits | undo)

I will try that.

1 Like

Do you have a list of some examples of broken pages?

The good news is nothing is lost. For once, we have mysql backups (but then we’d loose the work after the translation unmark, so we’d need to back that up first before we roll back). Also not sure forum and wiki can be separately restored, fortasse would know. Secondly, if we can identify the broken pages, the rollback can be rolled back.

Basically just undo Removed page from translation. Not rollback. (That would rollback any changes by me alter later ones.)

1 Like

Now - I really have to - temporarily - undo your last commit on /Documentation. Otherwise…

The edit could not be undone due to conflicting intermediate edits.

I keep a list of undone edits and then manually reapply.