Whonixcheck, timesync GUI, msgcollector

...no offense, I am not sure you know git well enough yet. Please don't use git push --force, because that messes up the repository for everyone. Git is a distributed source control system. Usually using multiple remote repositories don't cause any issues. I don't think you understand git while saving to read the basics of something like http://git-scm.com/book.

No offense taken, I really do not feel confident wit git yet. For the moment, I get the basics from Git Workflow | Atlassian Git Tutorial, which is clear enough. I fully understand that git is a distributed source control system, but what makes me nervous is the possibility to mess with other people work (git push --force is a good example). I can be totally reckless with my local system, but I become shy, so far, with git. That does not help.

Going to try creating my branch, correctly this time (may be).

Not that scary after all. It’s not like we have zero margin for error. I still got a local copy as well as adrelanos/msgcollector etc. as backups.

There is a new branch https://github.com/troubadoour/msgcollector/tree/type_error. Eventually…

Merged without problems.

Could you add support for copy and paste from the window please?

Added copy/paste support in GitHub - troubadoour/msgcollector.

Great! Merged!

So far, when I set TextSelectableByMouse, the text is no longer selectable. Could you check?

Edit: The links are dead.

Fixed. Both links and text selection are working. Pushed in troubadoour.

Merged. :slight_smile:

Would you like to upgrade messages in

as well?

Can dispatch_x show colors? Such as we are using for whonixcheck in CLI, where [INFO] is colored? INFO is colored, while [ and ] are uncolored (default: white).

Maybe we color the text or we use background color for test? Maybe strings like “Tor Bootstrap Result” (without colon?) would have either green (info), yellow (warning) or red (error) background color?

Can you tell me please an example on how to use dispatch_x to show colored text?

If it’s possible and we think it’s a good idea, I would implement it into msgcollector as function pretty_type_x.

Maybe help.

<b><p style="color: white; background-color: green">info</p></b>
<b><p style="color: black; background-color: yellow">warning</p></b>
<b><p style="color: black; background-color: red">error</p></b>

Updated GitHub - troubadoour/anon-gw-first-run-notice: First Run Notice for Anonymity Linux Distribution Gateways - For better usablity. Warns users use not to use the gateway as a workstation. Has a "do not show this message again" checkbox.

The script calls a new script “generic_gui_message”. I made the latter as versatile as possible. Like in the whonixcheck-timesync gui, you can select the severity icon. The buttons are selectable too. For the moment, “yesno” and “ok” are available, but we could use “open”, “save”, “retry” or whatever is available at The Qt Project, only the return code would differ.

The message is split in two bodies, the main message and an optional question. The text is set to rich text and is selectable by default, but QMessageBox does not allow OpenExternalLinks.

As I did not know where to put it, the script is in https://github.com/troubadoour/whonixcheck/tree/master/usr/lib/whonix for the time being.

GitHub - troubadoour/open-link-confirmation: Asks for confirmation before opening links - For better anonymity and privacy. - Asks before a link is (accidentally) opened in a browser to avoid linking activities. was modified for using it.

Please do not fetch my changes yet, I will push a modified version.

You can dismiss the edits in troubadoour/whonixcheck. I have reverted to the previous commit and pushed it again. Anyhow, next time, before I commit, I’ll use fetch && merge.

Created a new package GitHub - troubadoour/generic-gui-message in /usr/lib and modified the paths in anon-gw-first-run-notice and open-link-confirmation.

It believe it looks more sensible.

I am reviewing open-link-confirmation at the moment. Also on irc at the moment. Maybe we can clear up a few things there faster.

Looks like you changed a few unrelated things as well?
(use of generic_gui_message · troubadoour/open-link-confirmation@3c50f31 · GitHub)

Old:

local title="Link Confirm Open ERROR"

New:

local title="Whonix Confirm Open ERROR"

I am very happy for text/user/output suggestions. “Link Confirm Open” might be a poor name and I am very happy for suggestions. However, I really would like to avoid “Whonix Confirm Open”, because it contains the term “Whonix”. My goal is to make most of Whonix’s features non-Whonix specific, so open-link-confirmation (and other packages such as tb-updater) can be used on any Debian (hopefully even more distros). Therefore I would like to avoid using the term “Whonix” as much places as possible.

Could you please make separate commits for text/user/output changes? Then they are easier to review, if they are distinct by theme. (Such as zenity → generic_gui_message or text changes.)

/usr/lib/generic_gui_message $icon $title $msg $question $button

Please quote the variables.

Merged gateway_first_run_notice. Switched paths to .gateway to make it less Whonix-specific, more generic.

Can you add html tags to msgcollector/error_handler at master · troubadoour/msgcollector · GitHub please? I tried doing so but failed. Perhaps because of the “#”? Do you know how to test?

I am very happy for text/user/output suggestions. "Link Confirm Open" might be a poor name and I am very happy for suggestions. However, I really would like to avoid "Whonix Confirm Open", because it contains the term "Whonix". My goal is to make most of Whonix's features non-Whonix specific, so open-link-confirmation (and other packages such as tb-updater) can be used on any Debian (hopefully even more distros). Therefore I would like to avoid using the term "Whonix" as much places as possible.

I won’t make that sort of change without warning. I did not spot that change from Whonix 8.2. Two commits, the last one for the quotes.

Could you please make separate commits for text/user/output changes? Then they are easier to review, if they are distinct by theme. (Such as zenity -> generic_gui_message or text changes.)

I will try to commit and push more often, instead of doing it by batches.

Can you add html tags to https://github.com/troubadoour/msgcollector/blob/master/usr/lib/msgcollector/error_handler please? I tried doing so but failed. Perhaps because of the "#"? Do you know how to test?

error_handler() exists in two places, msgcollector and msgdispatcher. In Whonix 8.2, the one actually used is from msgdispatcher. I added the tags there and it works. I guess it is the same “bug” in Whonix 9.

Pushed troubadoour/msgcollector with both error_handler updated.

I had to modify the vertical size calculation in msgdispatcher_dispatch_x to take into account the line breaks. It does not matter if there is a few of them distributed in a message, but there, it’s one every line. Will push after further testing.