Sorry to hear you’re having problem with Whonix. I’ve been in your shoes and I know how frustrating that can be. I’ll do my best to help you troubleshoot the problem.
I have a few questions to get a better idea of what is going on. Thanks for mentioning Tor Browser connects on host. That is very helpful.
- did you verify the Whonix images after you downloaded them?
- is Whonix-Gateway set to to use a bridge, VPN , or proxy?
- have you tried installing a different OS in VirtualBox (e.g. Debian) Then install Tor Browser in the Debian VM? Does Tor connect in that VM?
- does your system keep the correct time? If Whonix-Gateway time is off by to much Tor will not connect.
You can use the Whonix wiki Clock Fix to correct the time if its off. This site can be used to set the correct UTC time.
- after that is complete, could you post the output of this command
Usually does not help unless the Whonix image is corrupted. That is one of the reasons why verifying the images is important. Other reason, man-in-the-middle attack.