Whonix VirtualBox 15.0.0.0.7 - Debian buster based - Testers Wanted!

Testers Wanted!

Whonix was ported to Debian buster in this release.

Alternatively, in-place release upgrade is possible, see Upgrade Whonix VirtualBox 14 -> Whonix VirtualBox 15 - Testers Wanted!.

Download the Testers-Only version of Whonix for VirtualBox:

Other Whonix platforms version 15:
Qubes-Whonix / Whonix KVM: unavailable at this point. A separate call for testers will be posted later. Stay tuned!

2 Likes

Great Job!!!

My testing notes:

• is it important to have super user for ACW?

Applications Test results:

• qTox better privacy/Tor compatibility Tips:

Open qTox then go to Advanced and scroll down to connection settings → Then disable “Enable IPv6” & “Enable UDP” , change Proxy Type to SOCKS5 , Address to 127.0.0.1 , Port to 9101 (or isolated port for it connection)

• Ricochet & Onionshare has an Onion grater issue in “Extend onion-grater Whitelist” instruction step mentioned in the wiki.
  • CoyIM has an issue of freezing up and not connecting (need to kill it in order to close it) upstream ticket:
1 Like

@nurmagoz via Whonix Forum:

• is it important to have super user for ACW?

Yes since it modifies root owned files. Abolishing user/root separation
(on gateway only) would be a separate discussion.

Applications Test results:

• qTox better privacy/Tor compatibility Tips:

Open qTox then go to Advanced and scroll down to connection settings → Then disable “Enable IPv6” & “Enable UDP” , change Proxy Type to SOCKS5 , Address to 127.0.0.1 , Port to 9101 (or isolated port for it connection)

Setting UDP will be futile. ( Tor Documentation for Whonix Users )
Otherwise good idea.

• Ricochet & Onionshare has an Onion grater issue in “Extend onion-grater Whitelist” instruction step mentioned in the wiki.

Fixed in wiki.

• CoyIM has an issue of freezing up and not connecting (need to kill it in order to close it) upstream ticket:

CoyIM in buster freeze up · Issue #527 · coyim/coyim · GitHub

Thanks!

1 Like

yeah thats why better to disable them by default.

• OnionShare tested and its working!

• Ricochet Debian doesnt boot up: (expected ending)

1 Like

Great!

Fixed.

Fix in all buster repositories.

Actual ricochet connectivity test has not been done by me. Would be nice if you could test.

1 Like

qtox:

IPv6 might even work. (See IPv6 tests in Tor Browser.)

(Above commit works for new builds only because it is in /etc/skel.)

Proxy settings cannot be applied by default. Related bugs:

We also cannot use torsocks, bug reported:

1 Like

Add Workspace Switcher by default because if you open TBB and then open file manager and then press/hold the file manager top bar and go left of the screen then TBB page will disappear. it didnt disappear actually but the file manager window went to a new workspace. and in order to see all the work spaces you need to add workspace switcher plugin to the taskbar by default.

right click on the taskbar -> go to Panel -> Add New Items -> Workspace Switcher

then move the workspace switcher near to the browser icon (left) for better control.

1 Like

sudo apt install --reinstall ricochet-im

fixed the issue for me.

1 Like

Feature for new comers:

Make PulseAudio Plugin visible by adding it to the taskbar/Panel in WS.

1 Like

Ricochet giving false claims that its working but its not.

http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/t/ricochet-support/7174

CoyIM tested and working here fine. Accounts can be created staright away and I’m logged into them as online.

2 Likes

how? it got fixed or it just worked with you?

1 Like

I just used it normally and clicked register account and it works as expected. Just did it again now.

The hanging connection to the server you saw might be a network connectivity problem at the exit node, or a request throttling done to prevent spammers from that exit’s IP.

EDIT:

Let’s try to connect with coyIM too because there was a bug in the version in Stretch which kept making coy forget added contacts.

1 Like

well this is my tested results (impossible to continue)

1 Like

OK, finally got a Whonix 15 running.

First thing I notice is both Gateway and Workstation have a GUI whonixcheck error right after first-run wizards finish:

WARNING: Debian Package Update Check Result: Could not check for software updates! (Timeout reached.) (apt-get code: 124)
Please manually check:
(Open a terminal, Start Menu → System → Terminal.)

Manual apt update / dist-upgrade commands work fine in terminal though.

BTW, should we move from apt-get to apt?

I read last week that the Debian world is moving in the direction of suggesting apt by default and that best practice is such that apt-get should only be used if necessary for a function that apt itself can’t provide (similar to aptitude does over apt-get). It would be neater and less daunting for the user to work with.

1 Like

AnonymousUser via Whonix Forum:

BTW, should we move from apt-get to apt?

I read last week that the Debian world is moving in the direction of suggesting apt by default and that best practice is such that apt-get should only be used if necessary for a function that apt itself can’t provide (similar to aptitude does over apt-get). It would be neater and less daunting for the user to work with.

Citation would be useful. We can consider this after Whonix 15 stable
release.

Yeah I couldn’t find it that time, but found it now. It was this article:

So it seems apt is a little more user-friendly (in general) and is in Debian by default.

It shows in a table that apt-get dist-upgrade → becomes → apt full-upgrade.

Annoying that apt, apt-get and aptitude are all slightly different with different pros vs. cons, but at least we have choice for different situations. I had to use the deluxe aptitude to install a particularly difficult-to-install package that required sid repo dependencies on a Tails Debian the other week.

Further links that look useful:

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html

On a new fresh pair of 15.0.0.0.7 VMs, the above error doesn’t happen. Perhaps it was a connection issue.

There are new stuff Questionable and Bug:

• Geoclue Demo agent? i dunno is this needed ?
  • null is a process by whonix but it would be better to be named if possible

• I dunno why only Desktop directory there , but no others like Downloads,Public …etc (Bug)

prefapp

• Its better to have both of them filled , as TBB & Thunderbird or at least TBB.

⚓ T913 bug: not all files form /etc/skel are copied to /home/user / create user "user" at boot time

2 Likes
1 Like