Whonix VirtualBox 14.0.0.6.6 - Testers Wanted!

I can second that. But don’t know if those servers have the capacity to handle an influx of all Whonix users.

1 Like

What if you swap onion and clearnet lines in sources.list? Does it prefer onions over clearnet then?

2 Likes

Yes it does!

2 Likes

Right, so we ought to swap them.

1 Like

Thanks for the update on the GW after running sudo apt-update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - and rebooting I get a message No command arguments supplied! Usage: kdesudo [-u ] KdeSudo will now exit…

Just ran a new instance of the WS same message

I have only run the update - using the testers repo and changed passwords?

1 Like

It’s about auto starting anon-connection-wizard. Or not. So in worst case a usability bug. No security involved.

Not clear how that could happen. We checked all the related code and added some safeguards against this which will end up in updates and the next release.

1 Like

Multiple users are affected by this.

1 Like

HulaHoop:

Shared folders seems to be broken. While a folder named after the mount point is visible, nothing from the host shows up in it. It could be that I’m not familiar with a new path that it was changed to when the feature was revamped by Jason

No changes where done.

Is package shared-folder-help installed?

/lib/systemd/system/mnt-shared-vbox.service was removed since no longer
needed. Unrelated to KVM.

/lib/systemd/system/mnt-shared-kvm.service is untouched.

https://github.com/Whonix/shared-folder-help/blob/master/lib/systemd/system/mnt-shared-kvm.service

It’s all there is.

I figured out why: start condition failed - conditionvirtualization=kvm as not met

1 Like

Could you please fix this so this can find its way into the next (and perhaps final before release) build?

The easiest way that comes to mind is to change whonixcheck and shared-folder-help to accept ‘qemu’ output. This isn’t a problem because there won’t suddenly be a qemu Whonix version that I don’t know about.

EDIT:
virt-what reports KVM BTW so I find it odd.

EDIT 2:

its a bug in everybody’s most favorite software

HulaHoop:

The easiest way that comes to mind is to change whonixcheck

This is already done, no?

and shared-folder-help to accept ‘qemu’ output.

Yes, if it works, why not.

Perhaps both so we won’t have this issue again.

I had to enable it for all virtualization environments as it doesn’t accept a subset.
https://github.com/Whonix/shared-folder-help/pull/5

Did you change it since this latest test release came out?

After updating vbox to 5.2.6 r120293 Gateway hangs on boot on " NET: register protocol family 38".
Changing network adapters to Intel PRO solves the problem.
Previous version of gateway works fine.
Regards.

Yes saw it in git. I didn’t update since but this is done.

https://github.com/Whonix/shared-folder-help/pull/5/files ConditionVirtualization=1 is not acceptable, since then this would run in VirtualBox as well and fail, which would then be detected and complained by whonixcheck as failed systemd unit.

I guess either

ConditionVirtualization=qemu
ConditionVirtualization=kvm

and/or

ConditionVirtualization=qemu,kvm

or so might do. Please try.

No dice and in the case of the first technique it doesn’t matter what order they are listed in. service nsists on failing if one of the conditions is not satisfied.

A workaround is to essentially create a duplicate service file with the name mnt-shared-qemu.service which has a qemu service. It will be part of the same package of course.

HulaHoop:

No dice and in the case of the first technique it doesn’t matter what order they are listed in. service nsists on failing if one of the conditions is not satisfied.

A workaround is to essentially create a duplicate service file with the name mnt-shared-qemu.service which has a qemu service. It will be part of the same package of course.

I doubt that systemd is so inflexible, without this being reported as
being inflexible.

There is something like “activating condition either or”.

systemd-modules-load.service uses

ConditionDirectoryNotEmpty=|/lib/modules-load.d
ConditionDirectoryNotEmpty=|/usr/lib/modules-load.d

That is activating condition. Multiple of them.

• systemd triggering condition

So I guess

ConditionVirtualization=|qemu
ConditionVirtualization=|kvm

could work. Could you test please?

1 Like