whonix.org wiki translation / mediawiki extension translate - technical discussion

Removed most of the old, broken translation markup on Advanced Security Guide - Whonix, because editing chapters were broken. I mean, when you were for example at Advanced Security Guide - Whonix, you could not click that ‘edit’ button. It would have you edit something else.

My point is, before you add a lot translation markup, please try first if these ‘edit’ links are still functional.

Any strangeness with the translations extension could also have had another reason. Our mediawiki seems to not have processes “jobs” for quite some time. Currently manually running the runJobs.php script on the server. I think now a lot mistaken translations to EN or UK, that we tried to delete, will now finally get purged.

The above issue is still current. Still need to manually run runJobs.php.

( number of undone jobs can be found here: MediaWiki API result - Whonix )

Apart from that… How well do you understand the translation extension now? Is it in a state where we could accept translations? @Ego

Good day,

Well, the extension works in the way I explained in my “How to translate guide”. However, manual activation of both, the translators and the translations, is still necessary.

Have a nice day,

Ego

runJobs is now automated using crontab. That now should lead to a lot less strangeness when using the translation extension. For example when having clicked to delete translations to mistakingly added languages such as UK those will be gone a lot more quickly. [And as a nice side effect, puring the cache, refreshing wiki contents for non-logged in users will work better.]

FYI / for reference only…:

crontab -e
## https://www.whonix.org/w/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo&siprop=statistics&format=jsonfm
MAILTO=""
* * * * * /usr/bin/flock -n /tmp/cron-mediawiki-runjobs.lockfile /usr/bin/php /var/www/w/maintenance/runJobs.php > /dev/null 2>&1

Good day,

that’s rather nice to hear and will hopefully simplify things in the long run.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Would you appreciate help with the translation coordination? I am just cleaning up the blog categories and wonder if News - Whonix Forum should be reposted or archived.

Good day,

To be honest, the whole “coordination” part of my “duty” around here is quite managable at the moment, seeing how the number of active translators is overseeable and checking what changes occured once a week isn’t to time consuming. Adding to that the fact that I’m currently in the midst of finishing the new Jekyll based wiki/documentation which will make supervision even easier and the whole wiki better to navigate:

Have a nice day,

Ego

What about adding the translation markup?

Good day,

Sorry, but I’m not sure what you mean by that in this context. Could you maybe elaborate?

Have a nice day,

Ego

Putting everything in small pieces of ….

Or have you decided to give up on this on to simply wrap the whole page
into …?

The problem with whole wrap whole page approach has always been that
users tend to translate [[some_link|some link]] to
[[irgendein_link|irgendein link] rather than [[some_link|irgendein link]].

So [[some_link|some link]] is better. But
preparing such translation markup is a lot more work.

Good day,

Oh, that’s how you meant it.

Some of the solutions (yes, plural) I’m currently testing actually use seperate, easily editable and exportable text files for the wiki part. So, everything is either in markdown or text and can be easily linked and edited over purse.io. Should thus be simpler to translate than for example the implementation Qubes uses and the issues you’ve mentioned should also be avoidable. Am preparing a viewable demo of all the tested solutions which should be uploaded by the end of the day.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

On https://www.whonix.org can we get rid of the following?

This page contains changes which are not marked for translation.

Good day,

Sure, already done. That is one of the bug bears with mediawiki, that this needs to be done manually every time…

Have a nice day,

Ego

If you re-visit that page, it still shows that message. Not terrible, but also not great.

Since we are getting a new homepage ( New Qubes Website! New Whonix Website? - #66 by Ego ) and perhaps also a mediawiki replacement ( https://forums.whonix.org/t/mediawiki-replacement ), it may not be very important.

Mediawiki templates cannot be translated?

Should we translate German to Du or Sie form? Or none of that?

Good day,

It is possible, though rather complex and time consuming: Template localisation - MediaWiki

I’d go for “Sie”, is more professional.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Should I call in a blog post for more translators or should we wait until the maybe mediawiki replacement ( https://forums.whonix.org/t/mediawiki-replacement ) thread has been concluded?

Good day,

Personally, I feel like waiting a bit until we have either found a viable alternative or alternatively found a way to improve the process with mediawiki is the better option. I don’t want anyone to translate now and then have to find out that parts of his/her translation couldn’t be transferred to whatever we settle on in the end.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like