Whonix-installer error line 176 (Kicksecure Whonix, updates over tor, and S76 HCL)

I understand that the virtualizer is not the method proscribed. But wouldn’t you agree that it is good to have multiple pathways to access the software? For example, I said earlier that Whonix work perfectly on VirtualBox but yesterday maybe there was a cyber attack on the dnf update because the .ova was aborted. There is no way to onionize dnf. Oracle went into “Guru Meditation” and I had to rebuild her all over again. Now it works again and it’s the latest update. Maybe the KVM method on the Whonix website is the method I should implement if Fedora sometimes reconfigures VirtualBox with updates that make the imported appliances disfunctional.

So I had decided to return to Qubes thinking that R 4.1.2 might be compatible with my hardware but it still does not recognize Alder Lake Wifi (lspci “unknown”) and the backlight is not at full brightness. Debian also does not recognize Alder Lake Wifi, so I can’t install Debian and then morph it to Kicksecure and install Whonix. I can only virtualize. Now I’m back where I started but I did learn a few things and I think there is more to discover through troubleshooting.

I restarted installing everything with 10G more for the vda. There is no easy way to resize the vda in Gnome Boxes. I tried. Suggestions I found online did not work.

This time around, I found that “su” does not work when Installing KicksecureTM Inside Debian (morphing) but “sudo su” does provide root access. If you look at the sudoers file, the permissions are eqivalent, aren’t they?

I also found that there is an onion for fasttrack now (5phj…)

And there is a way the clock can be skewed in Gnome-Redhat Boxes virtualizer. My host system time is not effected, but the guest in Boxes can be skewed and I don’t know how that happens. I corrected the time an so far it has remained on time but I didn’t close any “hole” that skewed it in the first place because I don’t know how timing attacks are carried out.

Both system tor and TBB are functional but there are the same error messages. I will upload texts of the commands and outputs.
. . .
root@debian: systemctl status tor.service
Active: active

debian@debian: ./tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser
curl check.torproject.org - yes connected to the tor network with new ip every time a new circuit is created

This is the result from Nyx with TBB running:
nyx - debian (Linux 5.10.9-20-amd64) Tor 0,4,7,13 (recommended)

debian@debian: torsocks w3m https://check.torproject.org
Congratulations.
. . .
I discovered that the timewas off in another OS on Boxes but was correct on the Debian I morphed but ran out of space so deleted. The current enlarged morph has an skewed clock. NTP can get attacked. I have seen an off by a minute skew attack if synced over network but that shouldn’t matter because less than 30min, right? What is the best way to keep the clock correct and why is it off I wonder? Shouldn’t the time have been set correctly during installation?

I manually set the date to the correct time and the errors persist.
Not sure what is going on with Nyx (there should be a Nyx guide)

1. but torsocks,
  2. TBB,
  3. and system tor
    all appear to be working correctly according to the tests.

Troubleshooting information
. . .
@debian:~$ sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
Hit:1 tor+http://deb.w5j6stm77zs6652pgsij4awcjeel3eco7kvipheu6mtr623eyyehj4yd.onion bullseye InRelease
Get:6 tor+http://5phjdr2nmprmhdhw4fdqfxvpvt363jyoeppewju2oqllec7ymnolieyd.onion/debian bullseye-fasttrack InRelease [12.9 kB]
Reading package lists… Done
E: Release file for tor+http://5ajw6aqf3ep7sijnscdzw77t7xq4xjpsy335yb2wiwgouo7yfxtjlmid.onion/debian-security/dists/bullseye-security/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 4h 36min 38s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for tor+http://2s4yqjx5ul6okpp3f2gaunr2syex5jgbfpfvhxxbbjwnrsvbk5v3qbid.onion/debian/dists/bullseye-updates/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 4h 58min 27s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for tor+http://2s4yqjx5ul6okpp3f2gaunr2syex5jgbfpfvhxxbbjwnrsvbk5v3qbid.onion/debian/dists/bullseye-backports/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 4h 58min 26s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.
E: Release file for tor+http://5phjdr2nmprmhdhw4fdqfxvpvt363jyoeppewju2oqllec7ymnolieyd.onion/debian/dists/bullseye-fasttrack/InRelease is not valid yet (invalid for another 5h 45min 26s). Updates for this repository will not be applied.

debian@debian:~$ sudo su
root@debian:/home/debian# bash ./whonix-installer-xfce --onion
whonix-installer-xfce: [NOTICE]: Executing: $ sudo – echo Successful root login
Successful root login
whonix-installer-xfce: [WARN]: Missing SOCKS proxy for torified connections.
whonix-installer-xfce: [WARN]: Trying Tor defaults: system Tor (little-t-tor) (port: 9050) and TBB (Tor Browser Bundle) (port: 9150).
whonix-installer-xfce: [NOTICE]: Testing SOCKS proxy: 127.0.0.1:9050.
whonix-installer-xfce: [ERROR]: Unexpected proxy response, maybe not a Tor proxy?

Debugging information:

• cmd_check_proxy:
    ‘RSYNC_PROXY=127.0.0.1:9050 rsync --dry-run rsync://127.0.0.1:9050’
  • expected_response_header:
    ‘HTTP/1.0 501 Tor is not an HTTP Proxy’
  • actual_response_header:
    ‘./whonix-installer-xfce: line 1569: rsync: command not found’
    whonix-installer-xfce: [NOTICE]: Testing SOCKS proxy: 127.0.0.1:9150.
    whonix-installer-xfce: [ERROR]: Unexpected proxy response, maybe not a Tor proxy?

Debugging information:

• cmd_check_proxy:
    ‘RSYNC_PROXY=127.0.0.1:9150 rsync --dry-run rsync://127.0.0.1:9150’
  • expected_response_header:
    ‘HTTP/1.0 501 Tor is not an HTTP Proxy’
  • actual_response_header:
    ‘./whonix-installer-xfce: line 1569: rsync: command not found’
    whonix-installer-xfce: [ERROR]: Cannot connect to Tor SOCKS proxy.

root@debian:/home/debian# su
root@debian:/home/debian# bash ./whonix-installer-xfce --onion
whonix-installer-xfce: [NOTICE]: Executing: $ sudo – echo Successful root login
Successful root login
root@debian:/home/debian#
root@debian:/home/debian# systemctl status tor.service
● tor.service - Anonymizing overlay network for TCP (multi-instance-master)
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/tor.service; enabled; vendor preset: e>
Active: active (exited)
Main PID: (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Tasks: 0 (limit: 7062)
Memory: 0B
CPU: 0
CGroup: /system.slice/tor.service

Mar 23 09:29:54 debian systemd[1]: Starting Anonymizing overlay network for TCP>
Mar 23 09:29:54 debian systemd[1]: Finished Anonymizing overlay network for TCP>
lines 1-11/11 (END)

debian@debian:~$ firejail --private=~/tor-browser ./Browser/start-tor-browser
Reading profile /etc/firejail/start-tor-browser.profile
Child process initialized in 164.63 ms
[also tried without firejail sandboxing and same result]
. . .

Clock inside VM can be different form clock on the host.

To check inside VM, run inside the VM:

date

Most likely your clock is fast by approximately 5 hours.

Also note:

To fix until we fix that in the installer:

sudo apt install rsync

I agree but resources are limited.

Malware, Computer Viruses, Firmware Trojans and Antivirus Scanners chapter Valid Compromise Indicators versus Invalid Compromise Indicators in Kicksecure wiki

Kicksecure ™ in VirtualBox - Troubleshooting - Kicksecure ™ does not Start? chapter Guru Mediation in Kicksecure wiki

Safely Use Root Commands chapter Substitute User (su) Command in Kicksecure wiki

Thank you. I will read up on the information you provided and see if I can make it work. You have the best collection of internet privacy and security guides I have found online!

But the time is correct. The time has been correct and still is but the installer does not complete.

I noticed that Whonix Gateway has a troubleshooting feature in the connections dialogue that provides the option of looking at journalctl if the circuit failed to build. Is there a precise command for looking up the relevant information about the tor connection so I can prove to you that it is not about the time?f

For example,
sudo journalctl -o short
produced this sample:
. . .
timesanitycheck.service
tor.service
tor@default.service
udisks2.service
ufw.service
upower.service
user-runtime-dir@1000.service
user@1000.service
wpa_supplicant.service
-.slice
system-getty.slice
system-modprobe.slice
system-tor.slice
, . .

time.gov result

01:31:26 P.M.
Your clock is off by:
+0.196 s

Yes, now the installation is downloading after installing rsync. There is a warning about nested virtualization. Is there a way to make an iso of a virtual guest image so I could un-nest it now that it is built and install directly on hardware? I see that there is even better security with physical isolation. I was thinking about installing Whonix Gateway on a Mobian Posh morphed into Kicksecure with Pine64 LTE and then tethering that to a Whonix Workstation laptop.
. . .
whonix-installer-xfce: [WARN]: Missing SOCKS proxy for torified connections.
whonix-installer-xfce: [WARN]: Trying Tor defaults: system Tor (little-t-tor) (port: 9050) and TBB (Tor Browser Bundle) (port: 9150).
. . .

? ? ? But: torsocks w3m https://forums.whonix.org