Whonix gateway freezing

I ran into something similar before but I need you to confirm. After typing something in the gateway terminal the screen appears static and no longer responsive but terminating (using a process manager) and restarting virt-manager allows reconnecting to the VM display and everything is responsive again.

yeah it is the same one that i have faced.

still happening in whonix 12

i was install latest whonix inside kvm on latest debian stable , all done exactly by the guide on whonix site , gateway freezes perodicaly and that resolve after update and upgrade on guests and host , but i am not sure what causes the freezing because i was use and some other ways , that was to install on guests the amd64 kernels , to increase ram on virt-manager , and to change the type of cpu on virt-manager , anyway after the freezing resolve , i am sory i cant say what from all thats causes the freezing , later i test the whonix kvm on fedora 21 host with not at all freezings , on fedora 21 it is more stable ,

Good day,

are you sure all the settings (especially the amount of assigned RAM) where identical between Debian and Fedora? I am aware of the fact that, as KVM is developed quite closely to Fedora, it has always run a bit better on there, though this usually doesn’t give you more than a percent in most performance tests…

Have a nice day,

Ego

the problem is with whonix-gw , not with kvm or fedora.

Is it the same as this issue [VirtualBox] gateway & workstation freezing during inactivity - #17 by ixohni ?

no, it is different.

the freezing in GW + KVM just at the first installation.

not similar to the subject mentioned in Vbox.

After days work with fedora 21 (updated) kvm was periodicaly freezing , that because i was change the virt-manager cpu settings to copy cpu host configuration and virtiodisk performance cache mode to writethrough , then after i change the cpu to hypervisor default and cache mode to default , kvm become very stable , now i run whonix for hours\days without ever freeze.

1 Like

maybe this is our problem solvent with current whonix-kvm freezing?

@HulaHoop and @Patrick should check this.

And again fedora 21 freezing periodically What can i say, maby is the updates need in guests , i have the latest whonix with update and upgrade once , maby need again,or ma by is the desktop environment of host , i use xfce4 there , i don’t know , but become very undesirable lately , must force off all the time

i was getting the same thing to the KVM from the GW as well. maybe it has relation?

https://forums.whonix.org/t/gw-freezing-killing-the-kvm/1872

Please compare with a Debian jessie KDE VM.

SOLVED! THE SOLUSION FIND AT LAST!

after freezing the guests , i logout from host desktop environment (i am using xfce4 in fedora21),
{without force off the guests from virt-manager} , then i login back , and the guests are unfreezed!
so in fact not freezing the kvm-qemu nor libvirt

Yes , is the display manager in xfce4 the reason (lightdm) , because after i try to run as ususaly the dolphin in my host with kdesu nothing hapens -not run , and with just sudo was start normaly , Probably if i will install a diferent disply manager and i run it , then that will solve it , like gdm or kdm .

the problem is i have faced this issue inside Debian+KDE , so im not sure if this solution going to solve the whole or actual problem of the freezing.

So , debian+kde freezing, xfce+lightdm freezing , now i run xfce+lxdm and i will test it , whatever the result i will post it here , i will test it for 1-3 days for sure , if will freezing again i will install the gnome3 desktop environment with gdm display manager , at the end maby is the desktop environment combined with the display manager , will see.

1 Like

that would be great record for this issue. but i hope it will be useful to solve it. because we dont know for sure if the KDE,XFCE,LXDE,GNOME,…etc r the cause of the issue.

anonymityISright:

Allready the whonix is debian jessie kde vm , that i am using & for that i write.

It’s besides the point. It is a request for contribution / help. As per
Free Support for Whonix I was asking
if someone could ‘Please compare with a Debian jessie KDE VM.’ That
would help finding out where the issue is actually coming from. Does it
apply to Debian and Whonix equally or Whonix only? If the root cause is
in Debian also, it can be reported against Debian and chances are higher
to find someone understanding what is going on and fixing this. If it
happens to Whonix only, we know that something that Whonix does is the
actual cause.

‘Please compare with a Debian jessie KDE VM.’

i did that already.

Does it apply to Debian and Whonix equally or Whonix only?

only whonix , and only whonix gateway

i was test whonix kvm on latest stable debian host amd64 before weeks , it was freezing i remember , then i was install on whonix guests the x64 kernels and run that , i don’t remember clearly but i think it was resolved the freezing *update & upgrades on guests to, at the end if will not resolve with desktop environments & display managers i will try with x64 kernels on guests , will see , i need time , but i will do it.