Whonix 2020 Logo Contest!

Logo Contest

In 2020, Whonix ™ will have provided advanced anonymity and security to users for more than eight years. To celebrate this milestone we are announcing a contest for designers to create a new, vibrant Whonix ™ logo to give the platform a greater visual impact.

The current Whonix ™ logo [archive] and banner [archive] are now more than four years old and appear a little tired and dated.

Requirements

Graphical Requirements

• The source must be in Scalable Vector Graphics ( SVG ) format.
  • The image design should convey some of the concepts fundamental to Whonix ™: secrecy, privacy, anonymity, mystery and simplicity.
  • The logo should have a 1:1 ratio. (old logo.) The size can be 500x500 or 1000x1000 .
  • The landscape graphical creation should have a 3:1 ratio including the logo. (old banner) The size can be 1500x500 or 750x250 .
  • The Whonix name must be spelled with an uppercase " W " only, and lowercase " honix ".
  • The logo or banner should be suitable for printing. The intent is to produce attractive stickers that can be placed on computers as well as stylish t-shirts that people are proud to wear.
  • Images should have no resemblance to occult symbols.

Legal Requirements

• The Tor, Debian or other related logos cannot be used for trademark/legal reasons.
  • All images rights will be surrendered to the Whonix ™ project (ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP) see Imprint / Privacy Policy / Cookie Policy / Terms of Service / E-Sign Consent / DMCA / Copyrights / Trademark Policy.
  • The logo may be used for Whonix ™ official branding/trademark.
  • Make sure the fonts in use are compatible with GPL3+.
  • This is a voluntary contribution without any financial remuneration.
  • All proposals can be discussed in public.
  • Since a number of contributors might submit design ideas, there is no guarantee your design will be chosen.

Complementary Materials

As the logo and banner will be used in various places, contributors are encouraged to submit complementary materials. This is not a strict requirement, but it assists in evaluating proposals. Further, if your logo is chosen, we will require these materials before the logo and banner are publicly used.

The complementary materials are:

• Necessary fonts to create other material matching the logo.

Calendar

Post in this forum thread or e-mail adrelanos@whonix.org

• 31 December 2020: Deadline for sending proposals.
  • 31 January 2021: The winner is announced.

Credits

Tails:

License

This post Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org>
This post Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP <adrelanos@whonix.org>

This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the wiki source code.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the wiki source code for details.

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Dev/Logo_Contest&action=edit
3 Likes

• Open Sans Condensed Bold font by Steve Matteson, Apache License 2.0
  • Account icon by Austin Andrews, Open Font License
  • Shield Outline icon by Austin Andrews, Open Font License
  • Color #56347c
1 Like

Can I have permissions to post images? I have a submission.

Fonts: Gravitate, Dephunked, (package ttf-aenigma) FreeSerif (package fonts-freefont-ttf)

Colors: green 84c67f, purple 5c0093, white ffffff, black 000000

Upgraded your account just now. You can post links now. Please check if that also allowed image upload.

Owlnonymous

I saw a pun opportunity with the Whonix name so I made the logo an owl. The source files are in SVG but I uploaded these images in as png because the forum software wouldn’t let me upload SVGs

Fonts: FreeSans Font family

Colors:
TEAL = #00a99d
YELLOW = #f7ec13
ROYAL BLUE = #272361

1 Like

Upgraded your account just now. You can post links now. Please check if that also allowed image upload.

They all look good. Hopefully this timeline is still on.

31 December 2020: Deadline for sending proposals.
31 January 2021: The winner is announced.
1 Like

Will the winner be announced in this forum thread, on another forum thread, or somewhere else entirely? Thanks.

Good Luck to everyone who participated

Timeline delayed. Will get back to this soonish.

Should there be an update in a different forum thread, I’ll post a link to it here.

I’ve decided to keep the existing project logo for now.

My gratitude to all participants!

Have recently gotten into contact with a superior designer that will be submitting some options very shortly.

I know that the deadline for this has passed, but I think that these logos will be worth viewing.

This person is not really in the tech-y / privacy scene like that (pure designer), so I am submitting this proposal on her behalf (emphasized the ‘her’ because sometimes a woman’s aesthetic touch can help provide a diversity in ideas that we don’t usually see).

Will update soon.

1 Like

Contributions are happily considered at any time indeed. Of course also outside of the time frame given in this forum thread. Never mind the deadline.

Proposal yes. But actual contributions cannot be trough a human proxy / third party. That would be legally difficult. Copyright assignment twice or so. Better not to get into that.

Your Contributions

Anonymously contributed Whonix logo draft awaiting feedback.

Which version do you like most, a, b, c or do?

The new logo is:

Whonix ™ Unified Design - Logos & Guidelines was also updated.

All logos submissions have been added here just now: