Whonix 15 has been Released

1. arm command in terminal don’t work in Gateway
  2. Workstation Freezing :frowning: And Display Setting don’t open

use (project name changed by its upstream developer):

nyx

Thanks :slight_smile: But what about 2 question, lags with rendering in Workstation ? :frowning:

Whonix 15 XFCE has much lower resource requirements than Whonix 14 KDE.

Try increase VM RAM.

Also:

Just wondering. What applications are preinstalled by Whonix developers? I can not find the mat, but I see applications duplicate each other terminal and xterm. For each operating system there is a basic set of applications - a text editor, image viewer, video viewer, file manager, terminal, browser, and some others. If users need specific applications such as xpra, xpra browser, OnionShare, qTox, ZuluCrypt, gpa, KeePassXC, they will decide themselves that they want these applications or some other. It is not intrusive and I think more secure. Especially while the system theme is a mix of white and black. I understand that system theme is cosmetics, but put yourself in the place of a new user, who is technically not advanced. Whonix deserves to have a beautiful system theme! I do not want to offend the preferences of the developers just said what I think.

This is defined in this file:

anon-meta-packages/debian/control at master · Whonix/anon-meta-packages · GitHub

Likely due to technical limitations (dependencies). (Some Qubes package depends on xterm, not Whonix, I think.)

The following applies:

Also:

There’s indeed necessarily a degree of arbitrariness. There’s many flavors between minimalism and overload. Due to this and above it’s mostly the top contributors of Whonix who get to “vote”.

Advanced users can install CLI version of Whonix and then either package hardened-desktop-environment-essential-gui among others from anon-meta-packages/debian/control at master · Whonix/anon-meta-packages · GitHub or go for Other Desktop Environments - Whonix.

Mostly default theme. No theme customization yet due to lack of resources (developers making the changes). See also Xfce theming - a few suggestions - it “only” needs source code contributions.

About freezing. It’s not about RAM, it’s started lagging only when I open XFCE menu :frowning: I use MacOS with VB

Please describe. “freezing” is understood as “nothing reacts anymore”. And such issues are often resolved by adding more RAM. You might mean something different by “freezing”.

thanks for release 15 version, but I think it has some emergency errors.

• copied text files and some files from shared folder, after reboot, they are blank file(0 byte)
    is this bug? or virus? I didn’t install any other app after new install whonix
  • on the gateway, connected tor network already, but when I open onion circute from tor-control-panel, it says not connected tor network and it is blank screen

likewhonix via Whonix Forum:

• copied text files and some files from shared folder, after reboot, they are blank file(0 byte)
    is this bug?

Instruction for reproduction required as per:

or virus?

See:
Whonix Track Record against Real Cyber Attacks

• on the gateway, connected tor network already, but when I open onion circute from tor-control-panel, it says not connected tor network and it is blank screen

Do log analysis.

Tor Documentation for Whonix Users

When I open the XFCE menu in the left corner - menu items responses very slow - about 10+ second when I navigate mouse on them. I gave about 6000 RAM. But another parts of system and apps work normaly

Excellent news :slight_smile: Thanks a lot

I can’t find the KVM qcow2 files in the Download link, is it just me?
EDIT: I guess the current 15.0.0.3.3 version does not apply to KVM yet?
Also, I knew an URL with all currently available versions of Whonix builds to download for devs, I can’t find it anywhere now? I am currently looking for a KVM CLI version and I think one was available there.

onion_knight via Whonix Forum:

I can’t find the KVM qcow2 files in the Download link, is it just me?

Usually separate release announcements.

No idea. You could try the normal start menu, i.e. not the whisker menu.

How I can change it on normal menu? :slight_smile: Thanks

Right click on menu bar -> Panel -> Panel preferences -> Items -> remove Whisker Menu -> add applications menu

Thanks, it help me :slight_smile:

This is really awesome (and I also apoligize for not being around in recent weeks, to do theme testing, etc.), but I’m confused: isn’t Debian Buster not released as upstream stable yet? I don’t see anything confirming this if I do a web search.

Thanks for all the work in reaching Whonix 15.

Hi guys! Advise the program with the gui with which I can remove metadata from the images! I used MAT in Whonix 14 but in Whonix 15 instead of it was installed MAT 2 for which I could not find gui.
In the repository Debian Buster no old package mat-gui. Any open-source alternative?