[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

Which is better idea for vpn?

This question is asked in a way that if the goal is to not look suspicious or draw attention to yourself as a tor user to your ISP or Government.

Using a vpn before tor/whonix to accomplish this, is it a better idea to use a vpn service or to get a vps and install a vpn server. Some positive and negative points I have thought of are

VPN Service

1. ISP/Gov see that you connect to a vpn service for people trying to be anonymous
  2. Many people use vpn server so vpn exit ip does not = my traffic (don’t matter though because connecting to tor after this?)
  3. Have to trust no logging.

VPS with VPN Server

1. ISP/Gov only see you connect to a server, could even use TCP on 443 to make it less obvious. Is it an advantage to always connect to same server?
  2. Only your traffic uses the VPS IP, but goes to tor from here so no problem right? Better than straight from ISP.
  3. Can control logs, but only openvpn logs, can’t control vps traffic logs or do they not exist? I hear others say to just setup your own on a vps, but isn’t it the same problem with traffic logging with the vps?

Your opinions would be helpful.

Difficult stuff.

2) Many people use vpn server so vpn exit ip does not = my traffic (don't matter though because connecting to tor after this?)
This isn't necessarily true. When they're watching both ends, they could still correlate times. We don't know how sophisticated their techniques are.
1) ISP/Gov only see you connect to a server, could even use TCP on 443 to make it less obvious. Is it an advantage to always connect to same server?
Maybe. I guess you could get most cover, if you have a legitimate reason to connect to that server using VPN. Such as, if you own a company and are sometimes working from home. But then you just move the issue from having them to know that you are using Tor from home vs someone is using Tor from the company. So ideally from the company, have another VPN connection elsewhere etc. until the final Tor connection is sufficiently unlinked from you. Having a company that is using Tor as part of their security policy anyway seems to provider best cover. Difficult. And probably little gain.
3) Can control logs, but only openvpn logs, can't control vps traffic logs or do they not exist? I hear others say to just setup your own on a vps, but isn't it the same problem with traffic logging with the vps?
Same problem. I do trust VPS / root server providers as much/little as VPN providers. No difference. Physical ownership and security are the absolute basics before talking about anything else.
[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]