This question is asked in a way that if the goal is to not look suspicious or draw attention to yourself as a tor user to your ISP or Government.
Using a vpn before tor/whonix to accomplish this, is it a better idea to use a vpn service or to get a vps and install a vpn server. Some positive and negative points I have thought of are
- ISP/Gov see that you connect to a vpn service for people trying to be anonymous
- Many people use vpn server so vpn exit ip does not = my traffic (don’t matter though because connecting to tor after this?)
- Have to trust no logging.
VPS with VPN Server
- ISP/Gov only see you connect to a server, could even use TCP on 443 to make it less obvious. Is it an advantage to always connect to same server?
- Only your traffic uses the VPS IP, but goes to tor from here so no problem right? Better than straight from ISP.
- Can control logs, but only openvpn logs, can’t control vps traffic logs or do they not exist? I hear others say to just setup your own on a vps, but isn’t it the same problem with traffic logging with the vps?
Your opinions would be helpful.