What to expect

I just did a Qubes Whonix install, and wonder what I should expect. I show the Dom0 launcher but nothing else. Shouldn’t there be a way to enter the VMs? Since I was in dom0, I didn’t install KDE.

I can hit the “Show/Hide inactive VMs” button, and start the “work” VM, but how do I enter it? I can right click on the desktop, select "Applications, Domain: work, work: Firefox, but is that right? Is everything done from Dom0?

I hope there’s a page of instructions I missed, because https://check.torproject.org/ comes back “Sorry. You are not using Tor.” and shows my real IP.

Follow the instructions.

For example, start the browser.
Qubes App Launcher (blue/grey “Q”) → Domain: whonix → Privacy Browser

’ “Show/Hide inactive VMs” button’ → Unrelated.

“Domain work:” → Not routed through Tor by default unless you configure it that way. Better don’t and use a Qubes-Whonix-Workstation.

Well, I DID follow the How-to: Install the Stable Version of Qubes-Whonix ™ 16 install. But I didn’t want KDE garbaging up my Dom0, so I did the XFCE install instead.

This time I did the KDE install, and everything went as planned. I discovered that yes, you do work form Dom0 and open applications, rather than like in VirtualBox where you open VM machines.

It seems to be working now. Thanks.