VMware Maintainer

Hey folks,

I’d like to put my hat in the ring and offer to maintain VMware images for the project. I can supply qualifications/references as appropriate if there is interest in developing for it.

I am not a coder but I have extensive experience as a sysadmin and systems architect, specifically with the VMware product line. I can run tests and update .ova’s. I will have limited ability to respond to forum posts but will do what I can there. Work/home life keeps me pretty busy but I’d like to do what I can for the project.

2 Likes

salarin via Whonix Forum:

I can supply qualifications/references as appropriate if there is interest in developing for it.

Interesting. Please feel free to e-mail me.

I’d like to do what I can for the project.

I.e. not limited to VMware?

Is this primarily targeting the Windows platform? If so… [1]

Actually, it would be better to scale down on platform support. Any new supported virtualizer will inevitable take time from me too.

A proprietary virtualizer (VMware) seems isn’t the best direction to expand the project too. Currently even Whonix-Windows-Installer was deprecated because outdated and no time to rebuild.

Current supported platforms are mainly VirtualBox, KVM and Qubes.

Whonix-Host is in development. (Non-Qubes based.) It will be using KVM. The remaining need for VirtualBox will be only Windows. Would be good if long term we can get rid of VirtualBox completely.

[1] Do you think could work towards Whonix-KVM for Qemu on Windows?

I can build for Workstation (Windows) or Fusion (MacOS) but would build the images primarily for ESXi (the main product line). The reason being that there are some issues with cross-compatibility when building off of the OS-specific platforms but when using the main line product, it’s easy to convert out.

I’m open to helping with the other products as well but would have to do some “learning” on my end to ensure that I’m not giving other people incorrect guidance. I have some experience with KVM but would not call myself an expert on it. They use some industry standard techniques with their own twists.

I’ll double check but I believe VMDK’s created in ESXi are able to be imported directly to the latest VirtualBox release. As the goal is to get away from VB, that’s not terribly helpful but I wanted to offer that as food for thought.

How can I best help with the Whonix-KVM for Qemu on Windows project? I’m open to lending a hand wherever possible.

1 Like

build one , test , report errors for upstream and find solutions or workarounds if any applicable. Share that for review and testing purposes.