v3 onions for essential Whonix defaults (besides sdwdate)

Thanks - onionizing repositories wiki entry updated. I don’t think we reference Debian’s repo onions elsewhere in the wiki, but I’d have to search.

This config has been tested to work:

#deb Index of /debian buster main contrib non-free
#deb-src Index of /debian buster main contrib non-free
deb tor+http://2s4yqjx5ul6okpp3f2gaunr2syex5jgbfpfvhxxbbjwnrsvbk5v3qbid.onion/debian buster main contrib non-free

#deb Index of /debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
#deb-src Index of /debian-security buster/updates main contrib non-free
deb tor+http://5ajw6aqf3ep7sijnscdzw77t7xq4xjpsy335yb2wiwgouo7yfxtjlmid.onion buster/updates main contrib non-free

#Optional backports
deb tor+http://2s4yqjx5ul6okpp3f2gaunr2syex5jgbfpfvhxxbbjwnrsvbk5v3qbid.onion/debian buster-backports main

2 Likes

Updated. Please check.

1 Like

Good work - that looks right.

2 Likes

Thank you. regex contributions can be very helpful. Done.

mygrep -lrHnE "[^[:alnum:]][[:alnum:]]{16}\.onion"

This is now done.

1 Like

List of wiki pages with onion v2’s:

Didn’t check if any of these are essential and/or have onion v3 replacements. Help welcome!

1 Like

Great. I see a lot of references to DuckDuckGo’s service: they have not yet deployed any known v3 address. I wonder what your stance is on SearX as a model? They have a list of Tor instances here (http://searxspbitokayvkhzhsnljde7rqmn7rvoga6e4waeub3h7ug3nghoad[dot]onion/). I recommend replacing DuckDuckGo personally. I know that you made reference to the unknown connection between the published v3 onion for MetaGer; so perhaps that is out of contention for now.

I did try to update Footnotes in at least one Wiki entry to replace newsletter(dot)torproject(dot)org with its v3 onion - but was unable to do so. It seemed the {{Footer}} or somesuch was not editable.

There are some relevant v3 nodes for the crypto services that have been deployed.

Without being able to seemingly edit the Wiki as I expected I did not go very far into editing. Should everything besides the OpenPGP wiki be editable by world?

That’s my fault. Some time ago I set the majority of templates to be editable only by registered users with the applicable permissions - this was due to malicious edits.

The frequency of those has dropped off, so maybe it’s time to revisit that decision. I also see ‘normal’ users trying to fix issues in recent times, but being blocked by the protected template status.

@Patrick - thoughts? Maybe we just protect a handful of ones you really don’t want the ‘world’ to be editing. I don’t think there’s any easy way to do it though, from memory they were protected one by one.

Re: v2 onions - maybe move that entry to the long wiki edits thread. I suggest that if the applicable v2 onions don’t have v3 onions available right now, we remove the v2 reference and just insert the ‘clearnet’ address so we are ready for the next Tor version which kills off v2 completely. Otherwise users will complain about multiple non-functional references.

1 Like

torjunkie via Whonix Forum:

The frequency of those has dropped off, so maybe it’s time to revisit that decision. I also see ‘normal’ users trying to fix issues in recent times, but being blocked by the protected template status.

@Patrick - thoughts? Maybe we just protect a handful of ones you really don’t want the ‘world’ to be editing.

Yes. Let’s say if the template is used on more than 5 pages
(Template:Footer) or contains sensitive information
(Template:Project_onion) or is unlikely to change (template with TPO
onion) then keep it protected.

Also not sure… Is there / was there a bug? If a malicious edit
modifies a template, does it show up for anon (other) visitors (another
Tor Browser instance in different VM for testing)? Or it protected by
moderation queue from public view? There might have been such a bug.
Might be fixed now. If no such bug then malicious template editing is
much less of an issue.

I don’t think there’s any easy way to do it though, from memory they were protected one by one.

Re: v2 onions - maybe move that entry to the long wiki edits thread. I suggest that if the applicable v2 onions don’t have v3 onions available right now, we remove the v2 reference and just insert the ‘clearnet’ address so we are ready for the next Tor version which kills off v2 completely. Otherwise users will complain about multiple non-functional references.

Makes sense.

https://duckduckgogg42xjoc72x3sjasowoarfbgcmvfimaftt6twagswzczad.onion/

already provided

Please provide evidence that it’s really hosted by duckduckgo and not a third party. I.e. duckduckgo itself mentioning this onion.

duckduckgo doesnt mention its onion v2 as well.

Patrick via Whonix Forum:

Duckduckgo mentioned its onion v2 did on duckduckgo official twitter account. That tweet was on web.archive.org when duckduckgo onion v2 was used as sdwdate onion source. See sdwdate git history and/or you might still find that tweet.

Yes true but not as tweeting with hey we have our server mirrored over Tor please use it, It was an answer to someone asked:

https://nitter.kavin.rocks/duckduckgo/status/1032178047405973505

currently the check of ddg onion mentioned:

still show onion v2.

From technical point view its impossible (unless there is a way im not informed with) to sign onion v3 with TLS used by ddg themselves and turned out to be a third party. (unless there is certificate hijacking done on ddg/digicert which is highly unlikely or lets say it wont happen)

So that onion v3 to ddg is authentic without the need to announce it.

1 Like

I overlooked the https. The certificate duckduckgo clearnet vs onion fingerprint doesn’t match. Anyhow. A valid TLS certificate with extended validation should be sufficient indeed. Can any service save the TLS certificate? Never mind. It’s onion is visible on clearnet HTTP headers. That is a very solid confirmation.

1 Like

No, there was no bug - people were just prevented from editing completely. But i see wiki edit comments in recent times on unprotected parts of a page like “As I can’t edit your template, can you please update XYZ…” e.g. Bisq page was a recent example of that.

Alright - I think we should unprotect most, even if more than on 5 pages etc. When I originally set the protections the vast majority of templates had zero protections. Agree with the sensitive info templates though.

1 Like

New Release: Tor Browser 10.0.17 | The Tor Project

sysrqb said:

June 03, 2021

In reply to Regarding the deprecation of… by anonymous (not verified)

Yes, they are testing a v3 onion address and that should be available in the near future.

Their onion address is not used as the default search engine because they have concerns about supporting the resulting load. The ticket tracking this request is DuckDuckGo Onion should be the default instead of DuckDuckGo (#21483) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

1 Like

Alright. Just keep at least sensitive ones (project onion) and highly unlikely changing ones (project name).

True, make the comparison of ddg onion v2 VS onion v3 you will find the match.

you can find it here in their clearnet headers:

1 Like

All done. Removed most template edit protections, except for sensitive ones as agreed. Of course, don’t accept any you think push freedoms too far.

Also added protections where it wasn’t in place for:

• Whonix cryptocoin donations
  • Software Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policies
  • Whonix product names
  • Whonix versioning
  • Whonix business names, addresses, contact details
  • Whonix signing key steps
  • Whonix/Debian/Tor Project v3 onion addresses
1 Like

Very good!

That evidence is as good as it gets. Sufficient. Don’t even see how it could get better. More than good enough.