Using non-tor browsers in a Qubes-Whonix setup

Can I use firefox, for instance, in whonix on a Qubes host? I have tried downloading many times but tor keeps crashing. How do I get a non tor browser on a sys-whonix app vm?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

First, not on sys-whonix Whonix-Gateway, never, never, never.

Second, if you really want to use firefox, that will degrade you privacy, and will still be routed through tor, then read other forum threads where people asked about it Installing Firefox in Whonix - #7 by WWW

And firefox is to be run on the anon-whonix Whonix-Workstation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

Should I be running app VMs with their template VMs on the Qubes system, starting before or after one another?

I know these are beginner questions that some may be embarassed to ask so I want to take the shot for those people. I am no beginner with computers in general but I am just starting to learn about the Qubes/Whonix setup. It’s fascinating!

see Qubes-Whonix Overview

Should I be running app VMs with their template VMs on the Qubes system, starting before or after one another?

AppVM does not require the TemplateVM to be powered on.

Also read Templates | Qubes OS

All of these questions are answered in the Qubes and the Whonix documentation. You don’t have to be embarassed to ask, but you have to read the documentation and try it out by yourself before asking.

I am just starting to learn about the Qubes/Whonix setup. It’s fascinating!

It is indeed.

1 Like