Community Poll: Deprecate KDE in favor of XFCE in Non-Qubes-Whonix?
The Whonix team is interested in polling the community’s preferred desktop environment.
- Whonix KDE
- Whonix XFCE
Why consider changing?
Whonix bundled with an XFCE desktop environment is in development. This raises some questions:
- Do users generally prefer the KDE desktop environment over XFCE (or vice-versa)?
- When a Whonix XFCE variant becomes available, will users continue using KDE in Whonix or make the shift?
Whonix developers are strongly considering making XFCE the default for future Non-Qubes-Whonix default version downloads.
If this decision is made, it is unclear whether Whonix with KDE will continue to be supported.
- Until Whonix ports its base from Debian stretch to Debian buster, Whonix with KDE should remain available.
- The decision whether to invest developer effort in Whonix KDE for Debian buster is dependent on the estimate of user demand.
- It is expected users will be given an option to upgrade in place from Whonix KDE to Whonix XFCE.
Please vote for your preferred choice of desktop environment!
Non-Qubes-Whonix vs Qubes-Whonix
- This announcement mostly concerns Non-Qubes-Whonix.
- Qubes-Whonix is largely unaffected because Qubes’ desktop environment choice (XFCE vs KDE) relies on dom0. Qubes-Whonix default applications will most likely change from KDE to those associated with XFCE; to learn how Qubes-Whonix is affected see this mailing list thread.
What about Gnome, LXDE, Cinnamon, MATE, Unity, or others?
Why prefer XFCE over other options?
- A contributor is available: Whonix XFCE (and Whonix CLI) was contributed by @Algernon.
- Whonix lead developer @Patrick is familiar with XFCE since it is the default desktop environment of Qubes OS.
- XFCE is fast and has low system resource (RAM) requirements, making it suitable for VMs.
- No crashes have been experienced.
Whonix CLI (command line interface only)
This will become available in the future as an optional download, without a graphical user interface (GUI).
At present there is only a
non-qubes-whonix-workstation-cli meta package. Limited information is available, but search the forums / internet for further details and stay tuned for developments.